35 year old male who was formally very athletic looking to get breast reduction. How much downtime should I expect? (Photo)

From Laguna Beach, CA. My initial hope was to have a procedure that was as "light" as possible, perhaps something like lipo only. I've been meaning to look into this for a long time, but my main concern has always been "fear" and also the amount of "downtime" I will incur. My main questions are: 1) Are there any new techniques that allow for less down time ? 2) Any feedback for someone who is scared of anesthesia ? 3) What is the realistic downtime I should expect ? Many thanks.

Resuming Activity Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Perhaps, this may help provide you some insight. Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. 

Downtime for Gynecomastia surgery

You need to be examined to determine what type of surgery you might benefit from. If your male breasts are caused by fat alone you will have some options, liposuction is possible. You may be a good candidate for the non-invasive procedure of CoolSculpting that does not involve surgery, anesthesia or incisions, but freezes that fat which gradually will melt away. If you have breast tissue involved, it will need to be surgically excised. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that specializes in gynecomastia surgery. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Gynecomastia treatment

You could have liposuction, like my gentle wave ultrasonic liposuction and it probably would flatten that area for you. This can be done under primarily tumescent anesthesia with light sedation. The downtime is usually much less that the invasive excision.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

35 year old male who was formally very athletic looking to get breast reduction. How much downtime should I expect?

As a bodybuilder, I get referred a lot of patients who want this surgery.  I can usually do this with liposuction alone and relatively minimal downtime and scarring.

Gynecomastia

Male chest prominence can be fat or breast tissue or a combination of fat and breast.  If fat it can be removed with liposuction with minimal down time - if breast or breast mixed with fat it needs to be excised with slightly greater downtime.  Either way an exam is needed to determine what would be best for you

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Male breast reduction

Thank you for posting the photo and questions.  Unfortunately, a single frontal view photo does not provide enough information to make an accurate assessment.  An examination is needed to determine if the fullness you have is from fat or glandular tissue.  After an examination, your options could be discussed with you and any "light" procedure can be explained as far as results that could be expected and pro's and con's.  Even with a more in depth procedure such as excision of glandular tissue, the downtime is minimal as far as time off work; however exercising and upper body building will need to be refrained from for several weeks to allow proper healing.  Anesthesia options would be local with sedation vs. general anesthesia, and the pro's and con's of those could be explained at your consultation.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of breasts

You can have your tissue removed with one of several liposuction techniques as an outpatient. The anesthesia can be done several ways, so discuss with your surgeon so the method will be safe but less scary for you. You can likely be back at work within a couple of days if you do not have a heavy physical labor job. I use and I think most surgeons would have you wear a firm garment [vest like] under your clothing to control swelling and speed your recovery. My patients mostly seem to like the garments and feel it is holding their sore area still and makes them fill better.

Scarless gynecomastia

It can be done through a tiny incision in the armpit, no stitches,  using lipo and a special instrument to "grind up" the gland if needed. Light sedation plus local anesthesia and back to a desk job in a day or two

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Options for gynecomastia surgery

It looks like you have mild diffuse gynecomastia with good skin elasticity. I think you should get a great result with standard procedures that include liposuction and excision. Often Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction is performed as well. The recovery is rather quick and most patients can return to non-physical jobs after two days. The surgery can be done under a sedation type of anesthesia which is very safe when performed by qualified people. I don't like my patient to exercise for the first two weeks after surgery and need to wear a vest for three weeks. Good luck.