How long would my recovery time be? (photos)

I am a 52 year old female, looking to get tummy tuck and breast lift. My only health issue is migraines.

Healing and Recovery after a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

The better shape you are going in to surgery, then faster your recovery

Typically, recovery after tummy tuck is about 2 weeks. However, I really think you should consider working on your weight more prior to surgery.  In particular, you have a very large "intra-abdominal content," which means that you have a fair amount of fat on the inside of your abdomen.  Only weight loss can reduce that.  With perhaps 30 or 40lbs of weight loss, you will be able to get around much better, recover faster and look fabulous!  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Mommy Make Over

Typically a Mommy Makeover is a combination of some type of breast recontouring, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Of these 3 components tummy tuck requires the longest recovery. You should plan on staying home for 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. After that you can begin to reengage many day to day activities. Athletic activities which create stress on the abdominal wall should be carefully reintroduced at 8 weeks progressing to 12 weeks. More aggressive exercises such as sit ups and abdominal crunches should wait for up to 12 weeks. Upper body restrictions will depend on the type of breast surgery performed. If a breast lift, without an augmentation, or a breast reduction is performed it is best not to raise your arms high above your head until healing is achieved. This normally takes up to 3 weeks. Unrestricted upper body activity can normally be resumed at 4 weeks. If an implant is used either for breast augmentation or in conjunction with a breast lift normal day-to-day upper body activities can normally be resumed in 2-4 days. It is best not to lift more than 10-15 pounds for 4 weeks after an implant is placed. Reintroduction of activity following liposuction is dependent on patient tolerance. There are usually no specific restrictions associated with liposuction.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery

On average patients need about 10-14 days recovery before returning to normal daily acitivities.  It will be six weeks before you can resume full exercise.  Two weeks is usually sufficient for return to work as long as you have a sedentary job.  You will not be a 100% but well on your way to recovery.  Swelling will take about 6 months to fully resolve.  Numbess will take 6-8 months to resolve and the scars will take 12-18 months to fully heal and look their best.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Recovery frame timing can only be given as an average of 3 weeks. But you should try weight loss first before surgery to help speed the recovery... 

How long would my recovery time be?

Hi... thank you for the question and photos... The recovery time for these types of procedures generally are from 8-10 days... after these you should be fine. 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Convalescence from mommy makeover

Depending on the overall health of the patient the age, and the size convalescence can be influence. From the photographs it looks as though there's quite a bit of surgery to be done. I would suggest you have help around the house for at least a week. Any significant activity will probably be a couple of weeks away.

Recovery time ?

Thank you for your question and photos. For a full tummy tuck and breast lift, most people are going to need 3 to 4 weeks off work and possibly longer depending on the physical demands of your job. I do not allow any exercising for 6 weeks after this procedure. You will have some swelling in both areas that may last up to a few months. I hope this gives you an idea of how much time you will need so that you can begin making plans. Best wishes 

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Recovery tme

I ADVISE MY PATIENTS TO ALLOW 2 WEEKS FOR RECOVERY,  four weeks in a girdle or compression garment, and no physical exercise for 6 weeks--if healing proceeds normally.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Hi, thanks for your photos and your questions. The recovery time is a question that never fails before any surgery . After TT surgery and breastlift you must think of a time for your recovery between 4-6 weeks. Remember that the recovery time can be as important as the surgery itself . My best wishes.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD