Bump on nose, pain during weather change, did I fracture my nose and not know it? (Photos)

About 10 years old, I got hit in the nose with (of all things) a marker. It was basically thrown at me unintentionally. I have a large bump where it occurred. I have pain in that area when the weather changes or when I have congestion. It all just goes to that one area. Also if you touch the bump it has this very hard tiny (about the size of a tip of a pen) bump on the left side. Could I have fractured my nose?

Bump on the nose ind pain during weather changes. Is a fractured?

The photographs demonstrate a bulbous nasal tip and a dorsal hump. A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump which is composed of both bone and cartilage. The bulbous tip can be refined and reduced. It's impossible to determine whether the nose was fractured 10 years ago, since the bones have already healed quite well since  the time of the injury. 

Rhinoplasty and Nasal trauma

• Thanks for a very frequently seen problem in my practice.  Even small injuries to the nose when younger can give you deformities as you age.  There are growth centers in the nose that when disturbed, can cause deformities later in life.  I would recommend you be examined in person to assess your issue and help you develop a treatment plan tailored to your nose.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Childhood trauma can cause trauma to growth centers, which exist in the nose and do not mature until puberty. Some patients seek out rhinoplasty for damage such as this, or more recent trauma. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-peson examination. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon