Got gummy implants over a year ago and they are still sitting very high. What can I do? (photos)

See your surgeon

You should make an appointment with your plastic surgeon for an in person examination as the symptoms you are describing could indicate a number of things. More pictures would be helpful, but having your doctor examine you and prescribe further treatment is probably necessary.

Good luck!

1 year post op

I recommend that you book an in person appointment with your Plastic Surgeon to discuss options for revising the pocket or implant.

All the best

High riding implants

Some asymmetry after surgery is not uncommon and may have been there before. Often times if an implant is placed submuscularly and an implant is lower on one side it may be because the person is right hand or left hand dominant and the implant is being pushed by constant use of that one arm. Check with your board certified plastic surgeon and see what they think of the asymmetry. Sometimes a bandeau can help push the side that is riding too high. Best of luck, MMT

Revision of capsule and possible implant exchange will fix your issue

Thanks for your question and your photos. I agree that your implants are riding high. This is a result of incomplete release of the muscle and/or an implant that is dimensionally too tall for your chest. Some patients have a constricted lower pole that is very tight and limits how low the implant can sit. A preop photo along with the dimensions of your chest and the implant information would be necessary during your consultation to give an accurate assessment. I do think that changing to a smooth round implant and releasing the lower capsule will solve a lot of the issues. I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is an ASAPS member and specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Gummy Implant Problem

Your implants do appear positioned too high based on the picture.  A few problems can be causing this: capsular contracture, implant malposition, implant choice, etc.  Unfortunately, all of these problems can only be addressed with a surgical procedure at this point.  It is best to be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon who can determine the underlying cause of your problems and then develop a plan to correct it. This is a very fixable problem.  Good luck!

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Implants sitting high

Thanks for your question.  Your implants could be in a position that is too high.  Alternatively, the implant that was chosen could be too long vertically as well.  I have seen these issues with cohesive gel implants.  You may be a candidate for implant revision with a possible switch to a round smooth implant.  

Please seek an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Aloha,

Shim Ching, MD

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Got gummy implants over a year ago and they are still sitting very high. What can I do?

If they are hard as well, best to see your operating surgeon. You may have developed a hard capsule that is holding them high and needs to be released/removed. You may also just need a revision of the pocket. Good luck!

Got gummy implants over a year ago and they are still sitting very high.

Thank you for your question and pictures.  A pre-op photo would have been very helpful. Basically, there are 2 options but it helps to know what you looked like before the surgery.  One option is to go back in and reposition the implants a little lower.  This has to be done surgically because, this far out, they are not going to drop on their own.  Capsules have been formed, so they have to be released to lower the implants.  Second option (you really need an in-person exam to see what's best for you), is to get some sort of a lift because it appears that the breast may be sagging in front of the implants, it the implants were placed under the muscle.  You should definitely discuss you options with your Plastic Surgeon or get a second option from a Plastic surgeon in your area.

Rigo Mendoza, MD