Can I do liposuction without a tummy tuck (or something less invasive) to eliminate my lower stomach pooch? (Photo)

I'd prefer something that allows me to be awake or maybe lipo but not keen on a tummy tuck due to scaring (as I scar easily). I have a cervical injury (managing through lifestyle change/PT) that prevents me from working out like I used to (thus the pooch). I'm a 45yo mom, active and I eat clean (low grains/sugar) except wine. The pics show my pooch and a flattened version of what I'd like to achieve...not going for super model. I'd like to hear doctor thoughts and high-level costs. Thanks!

Can I do liposuction without a tummy tuck (or something less invasive) to eliminate my lower stomach pooch?

Although it is possible to perform a liposuction procedure under local anesthesia or IV sedation, from the "wish" photo you have posted, I believe you will not be happy with a liposuction, alone.  A reasonable option may be a mini tummy tuck combined with Vaser ultrasound liposuction of the back roll.  This procedure will address the loose lower abdominal muscles, as well as the excess lower abdominal skin.  The cost of this procedure should be less than the cost of a full tummy tuck and entail a shorter recovery time.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.It appears that you have good skin quality on your tummy without any obvious stretch marks. I think that you would be a candidate for a liposuction procedure. This could be performed on your tummy, upper and lower back.It's important to understand that liposuction will not tighten your abdominal wall. You've had a child and often times women notice a looseness of their abdomen that they cannot flatten with working out alone. A tummy tuck procedure tightens the abdominal wall, flattens the tummy, and narrows the waistline.If your primary goal is to reduce the pooch, and on examination it's mostly fat, then you should do well with liposuction. Make sure to visit a board-certified plastic surgeons.

Liposuction Versus Tummy Tuck

Hello,Although you have some issues that would be best taken care of with a tummy tuck, you certainly could get some improvement with liposuction. Worse case scenario, you wouldn't burn the bridge for a tummy tuck later on. Visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons for a consultation.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and photos. You mention that you want the stomach pooch reduced only, if possible under local. On the captions of your photos you express the desire to improve square hips, fat on the back/bra rolls as well. The pooch can be done under local only. You start out with a very nice frame, and you can get excellent shape improvement with VASER Hi Def Liposuction. This is an advanced technique to give you an hourglass figure with a more youthful muscular definition. Not a lot of surgeons are proficient in this body sculpting technique. I trained and operated with the inventor of this technique, Dr. Alfredo Hoyos of Bogota, Colombia. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques for an in person consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

Can I do liposuction without a tummy tuck

You will need to see a consultant for an examination. If the roundness is due to fat, then lipo can work, but if it is due to muscle diastasis then a TT is the correct approach.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Liposuction instead of tummy tuck?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • I know you don't want to hear this, but given your wish look, you probably need a tummy tuck.
  • The 'pooch' is typical of loose muscle after pregnancy. 
  • Please see a plastic surgeon for an exam and once you know what is needed, the procedure and costs can be explained.
  • Yes, liposuction is easier but having liposuction that won't correct the problem is a poor investment
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS