On a trip and hard bump under eye is growing fast. What should I do? (Photo)

I had blepharoplastya a little over 2 months ago. A hard bump had developed under my eye. I am on a 3 week trip and the bump is growing quite fast. Is there anything I can do until I get back to my doctor.

Bump under eye

The appearance is consistent with an infection. Try to speak to your surgeon - - they may consider starting antibiotics. 

Hope that helps and best wishes, 

Dr. Donath 

(This of course should not be construed as medical advice or the initiation of a doctor patient relationship; this cannot substitute for an in-person medical evaluation.) 

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hard bump after blepharoplasty

That appears to be an infection which may or may not be related to your surgery two months ago. See if you can send your photo to the surgeon who did your blepharoplasty. He or she would want to know and advise you on treatment.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bump under the eye

If the bump is tender and red then you need oral antibiotics. If it does not hurt the it can be a cyst and will need to be removed when you get back to your doctor. 

Dr J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rapidly enlarging bump after surgery

Urgent options - call your surgeon or family doctor and have prescription called in, go to an urgent care center in your location, go to an emergency room. Redness, pain, rapid growth suggest abscess which can progress to cellulitis. Don't wait on this - you should seek immediate attention so that this does not extend around the eye or to other areas of the face. Best wishes.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Good Morning, I am sorry that you are having this problem.  I would suggest that you try to contact the physician that did the procedure to see what he/she recommends first.  If you are not able to reach that physician, then you should try to see a physician in the area where you are . This should not be left untreated so if you are not able to see a specialist then most areas have urgent care clinics that you can access  You should avoid make-up unitl this has been evaluated.  Good Luck and I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your trip

John S. Poser, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Postop bump growing fast

You are not my patient, however, a fast growing red swollen lower eyelid is not something to wait on. I suggest that you be examined and treated by a qualified physician ASAP. Infections around the eye can rapidly advance and lead to very serious consequences.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

This is very concerning, I would seek medical attention immediately , at minimum an urgent care center to rule out an infection.  Good luck, Jane