What could be the growing hard round bump under my eye? It is not attached but feels like a hard bebe (Photo)

It has been two months since my facelift that included upper and lower lid surgery. I have a growing bump under one eye. It seems to be affecting the shape of that eye, and is causing tearing. I returned to my surgeon and he did not seem to know what it is. His solution is to do a surgical removal. I am wondering what this hard bump could be and any other thoughts on how to handle it. Thank you.

Hard Lump After Blepharoplasty

Thanks for your question.  It is probably either from fat transfer or possibly a spitting suture.  Depending on how long ago your procedure was performed.   Make sure you give enough time for the swelling to reduce significantly before doing anything else to solve the issue.  Best of luck.

Blepharoplasty - enlarging bump under one eye

Thank you for asking about your lower lid blepharoplasty.

• I am sorry this has happened.
  • The most likely explanation is a fat graft, transposed fat, fillers or sutures under the skin.
  • However your surgeon's plan to re-explore the area makes sense -
  • I would probably want to wait until 3 months after surgery to reduce the swelling since swelling can obscure the cause.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Fat granuloma

If there was any fat grafting or transposition done during the blepharoplasty, it might represent a granuloma of the fat being transposed.  In that area, placement of a suture would be unusual.  Surgical exploration mighht be a good idea.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump under eye

if you had fat transfered, it could be that or perhaps an internal suture spitting. Use some warm soaks until you can see your doctor again.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Bump after facelift

I think that you need to give more details about your surgery. Were your eyes treated?  Did you have fat grafting or fat repositioning?  Best to review in person.

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing

Dear Ms McElheny

Thank you for your question and photo!  Please check with your surgeon- this may or may not be related to your surgery, but I am sure they can arrange the correct care.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Bump under eye

Dear Marti

Im sorry to hear you are experiencing an issue after your surgery. I agree that this is likely either a suture granuloma or a later presenting infection. It might also be one of the glands that is present around the eye. Prior to surgical exploration, an injection of steroid and 5FU could be attempted if it is non-infectious in nature. It is never a bad idea to seek a second opinion from a board certified surgeon in your area. 

All the best

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lump under eye

Did you have fat put into the lower lid at the time of surgery?  Could be a fat granuloma.  It could also be some sort of a suture granuloma although I don't usually have any buried sutures in this area.  The one thing to worry about is something called a mycobacteria infection.  These occur after about 4 weeks, and present as a nodule.  Sometimes there is more than one.  They can be red and tender, or just feel like a nodule under the skin. You will need to have this removed and biopsied and cultured to decide what it is.      

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon