Can't get rid of muffin top even though I work out like crazy, should I get Lipo w/ Mini Tummy Tuck or full Tummy Tuck? (photos)

lipo with minni or lipo with full tummy tuck? i had a full tummy tuck 10y ago after that i had 2kids and this is my end results :(... i workout like crazy but stil can not get rid of muffin top and lower back fat.. what is best for me...

Depends..

It  depends upon what your goals are and your willingness to entertain larger scale surgery. Tightness might come with a longer scar and more healing time.... probably extended tummy tuck versus lower body lift. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Will lipo help my muffin top?

Yes, liposuction should help with getting rid of your muffin top. I even do this under total local/tumescent anesthesia in my certified operating room with usually a quick and easy recovery. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Lipo

One of the most common procedures we do for patients like you are Full Tummy Tucks and Liposuction.  These are the two of the main components of the Mommy Makeover.  You are an excellent candidate for the Full Tummy Tuck and Liposuction of the abdomen and flanks.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Liposuction, mini or full tummy tuck?

In your case, liposuction will be of limited benefit though it may help on the sides.  I would only recommend that if you wanted to minimize scars and are not concerned about the central skin laxity.  As you discovered, you can't work out to tighten the skin, so the optimal choice here is a full tummy tuck, as a mini won't improve the sides very much.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Muffin tops caused by excess skin

as your suggests will require excision of the skin... and a lower body lift to include the anterior central portion of laxity.  If the bulges are fatty, liposuction would help those the most.  But realize any tight, constricting band over your hips will contribute to creating a 'muffin top' so find clothes that follows your curves and doesn't cut into your skin/tissue.

Curtis Wong, MD

Surgical options

Thank you for submitting your photos. They are very helpful but not a substitute for an in person exam.

It appears that you have skin laxity as your main problem more so than localized fatty deposits. A mini tummy tuck will not address all your concerns.

I believe your best aesthetic improvement would come from a formal tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and address these issues in more detail.

Good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

You appear to have lax skin, and you would not be happy with a 'mini-tummy tuck'. A full tuck will maximize skin removal and therefore tightening. Liposuction would be a great complimentary procedure to help shape your torso too. A few points to keep in mind while interviewing doctors.  1. The incision should not deviate from it's optimal location: very low at the thigh-abdominal border along the sides, and no more than 2 inches above the labial commissure in the pubic area. This means that the hole from the original belly button attachment might need to be closed with a vertical incision, which is vastly more preferable than placing the big horizontal incision too high. 2. Deep fat should be removed directly along the midline abdomen to not only give you better shape, but to minimize the diversion of blood flow away from the skin (the concept is known as 'parasitic fat'). 3. Progressive tension sutures should be place to optimize skin tension along the entire abdominal region and to close down the space created between the skin and the muscle.  Proper use of these sutures eliminates the need for drains, which will vastly decrease your risk for the most common complication of tummy tucks, seromas. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty and liposuction

Based on your photos it seems that best option would be full abdominoplasty with liposuction. This will involve removal of the skin, contouring of abdomen and flanks with liposuction and creation of new umbilicus.

You should seek a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for clinical evaluation and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck with Lipo or Full Tummy Tuck

Hi theHonme,

Thank you for your questions and photos. Without being able to see you in person and do a physical exam, it is impossible to be absolutely certain, but I can give you my best advice based on your photos. You appear to be a very good candidate for a full tummy tuck with some contour liposuction for best result.   

In my practice I have found that the ideal candidate for a tummy tuck procedure: 

1. Has had a stable weight for 6-12 months  
2. Is at a weight that they are happy with and that they are able to maintain 
3. Is not planning to have more children. 
4. Has a good support system that will be there for them both before and after the procedure
5. Is financially stable and able to afford the procedure 
5. Is emotionally stable and considering a procedure to make themselves feel better, not for someone else
6. Has realistic expectations for their result 
7. Willing to have an open dialog with your surgeon about any questions that you may have about anything during the tummy tuck process 

In addition to a full tummy tuck, you would likely benefit quite a bit from some contouring liposuction of the flanks to enhance your waist.  Your abdomen would be flattened tremendously. The majority of your stretch marks will be removed for a very natural-looking result.  

I would encourage you to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has experience and expertise in body contouring.  In order to maximize your time, schedule a consultation with a surgeon who has many before and after photos of tummy tuck results that you like so that you can discuss your treatment options with someone who knows how to give you the look that you want.  I hope this helps.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lipo

Hi-you are in phenomenal shape and likely what you may be most concerned with is the anatomy of your pelvis and hips. From your photos it looks like you have very little if any fat but if you have some fullness of your flanks and back you may benefit from liposuction to that area. Your tummy tuck looks excellent so might be worth going back to your same PS and discussing your options. Good Luck 

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon