Swollen Lumps on Labia Minora 3 Weeks Post Labiaplasty?

I had labiaplasty on May 9. At week 3 almost all of the swelling had subsided and was looking good. My surgeon removed all of the external stitches last week; however, I have a few very painful swollen lumps in my both labia minora now. My surgeon said I must be having an allergic reaction to the internall stitching and to wait a few weeks and maybe it will feel better. I'm not sure I can wait that long because they are very painful? She did assure me that it isn't an infection from the surgery, which is good, but I'm not sure what to do now about my situation? My husband and I were told that my surgeon should remove the painful lumps (stitches). Any suggestions?

Labiaplasty swelling

Thank you for your question. Labiaplasty swelling can be very intense, especially if accompanied by bruising or hematoma. The labial tissue can expand quite a bit compared to other areas of the body, and it is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other. I generally tell my patients that it will be weeks of swelling, with each week getting better than the previous. I ask them to avoid anything that can induce swelling such as strenuous activity or friction on the labia for upto six weeks. I also recommend that they keep the labia fairly lubricated (e.g. vaseline or aquafor) during the initial couple weeks when the swelling is most intense. The end results should be fairly obvious around the six week, and there can be intermittent swelling due to over activity or too much friction for another six weeks.

I would follow-up closely with your surgeon.  Sometimes, internal sutures are more tender when they are trying to break through the skin or mucosa.

Labiaplasty recovery and swelling

Painful lumps may represent residual swelling, lymph nodes, or small pockets of hematoma or seroma.  I would defer to the recommendations of your plastic surgeon for any intervention, if this is in fact needed. Raffy Karamanoukian, MD FACS Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Painful Lumps Likely Secondary to Sutures

I would agree that the painful lumps are likely un-dissolved sutures.  If they are causing you a lot of pain and concern, I would bring the issue up with your surgeon.  It usually resolves on it own, but resolution can be accelerated with removal if the pain is not getting better. Good luck