Labiaplasty Wedge Technique Is Healing Bizarrely? (photo)

I had the wedge technique done a little over 2 weeks ago. One side of my labia looks like it is healing ok (you can see the sutures poking out). The other side looks as if it is healing in a bumpy and pinched look horizontally. The doc did tell me that since one labia was much longer than the other that the end results will be a little a uneven. Which I'm fine with because nobody is perfect but, this looks weird. It looks as if it was sewn out to the side and attached to to outer labia. Help!

Labiaplasty healing takes time

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. . It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4=6 months.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals.
Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help. Direct massage may be useful

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

Very Early

It's very early in the healing process, and it appears you're healing well. There is a small excess on the left labia that could always be reduced with a small 'trim' in the office if need be, but I think you will continue to heal quite nicely. It may sound strange, but massage is really the best way to reduce the pulling of the scar, and at 4 weeks afterwards, I recommend light massage along the scarline to break up the tissue.

(I hope by now you are very happy and all healed up!)

Healing after Labiaplasty

I think it looks pretty good. I would wait a full 3 months at minimum to figure our what your end result will be. If there is a difference after 3 months, speak to your plastic surgeon about it. :)

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician

Labiaplasty and V wedge incisions for natural results

There is still significant swelling along the labiaplasty incision site.  I would recommend that you wait and allow things to heal.  Usually this will require no intervention, but sometimes may require a small touch up procedure under local anesthesia. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Labia wedge at two weeks

As the inventor of the wedge technique in the mid-1990s, I can say that it is too early to determine the result at two weeks. You do have a minor separation on the left with considerable asymmetry.  However, in several months, it will appear much better.  If the asymmetry bothers you after that time, a revision can be performed to better match it to the other side. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty Healing Irregularities

Labiaplasty healing irregularities are normal and smooth out over time.  The other thing that should be realized that there is great amount of asymmetry side to side that is not noticed prior to surgery.

2 weeks post-op is too soon to see results.

2 weeks post-op is too soon to see results.  Make sure you follow up with your surgeon and express your concerns.  Make sure you do all of the instructed post-operative massages you were instructed to do. 

Labia results at 2 weeks

are quite difficult to interpret.  Asymmetries are almost certain, especially if your had a longer side to start with.  Regardless, please give it time to heal and you can better determine if there was any suturing beyond your labia minora when you can pull them apart from the majora to see if there is any adherence as is suggested by your early photos.  Regardless, overall, your early results do appear quite acceptable in my opinion and should not be an impediment in your future.

Curtis Wong, MD

Two Weeks Too Early to tell labiaplasty result

The Final Result of Labiaplasty varies from patient to patient and depends on many factors including the complexity of surgery, amount of skin/mucosa removed, amount of swelling, post operative activity, whether you are a smoker and many other factors. You can tell little at just two weeks following surgery and it is common for one side to swell more than another. Your final result may take several months so best to allow some time to pass before making any conclusions about the outcome success.tincture of time is the hardest medicine to prescribe but chances are you will do well when the swelling goes down.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Labiaplasty Wedge Technique

It looks like you may have some notching where your labiaplasty incision is healing.  When the swelling resolves over several months, you may benefit from a small revision under local anesthesia.

David Stoker, MD