Labiaplasty wedge swelling and suture breakdown, how much swelling at 4 weeks? Will it go down much more? (photo)

I had a wedge method labiaplasty 4 weeks ago also removing excess skin from the sides of the clitoral hood. I had suture breakdown at the front of one side and the ends didn't fuse back they healed separate. My sutures are still holding on. If the swelling goes away I don't think the hole would be as noticeable but I still think I am too bulky around the clitoris. Really don't want a second surgery, although my surgeon said any revision will not cost me anything. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Labia Swelling One Month Out

Four Weeks is  too soon to expect edema to resolve or know your final result. Labia often swell quickly and asymmetrically early on for the first 2-3 days and varies widely from patient to patient. It can last several weeks to months and vary from day to day if you overdo it, eat a salty meal. Things you can try for early edema resolution: Low salt diet, arnica, bromelain, Ibuprofen. You should have a good idea of your final appearance by 3 months. I tell my patients, for most you are 85% of the way to your final result in about 3 months the rest takes up to a year.
#labiaplasty
#labiaplastyswelling
#labiareduction

How long does labiaplasty swelling last?

Swelling can persist for several weeks.
Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Swelling can persist for two or three months. Ice can help reduce swelling.

Labiaplasty swelling

Thank you for your question. Labiaplasty swelling can be very intense, especially if accompanied by bruising or hematoma. The labial tissue can expand quite a bit compared to other areas of the body, and it is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other. I generally tell my patients that it will be weeks of swelling, with each week getting better than the previous. I ask them to avoid anything that can induce swelling such as strenuous activity or friction on the labia for upto six weeks. I also recommend that they keep the labia fairly lubricated (e.g. vaseline or aquafor) during the initial couple weeks when the swelling is most intense. The end results should be fairly obvious around the six week, and there can be intermittent swelling due to over activity or too much friction for another six weeks.

At the three month mark, you can reassess the fullness on the top portion of the labia/clitoral hood region. I would wait until the six month mark, before contemplating any revision procedure.

Swelling after Wedge Labiaplasty & Issues

Labiaplasty swelling usually resolves when the sutures dissolve - usually by 6 weeks unless some long acting synthetic was used. An holes, etc would require revision when healing and tissue remodeling are complete - usually by 6 months. If you rush the revision, the results won't be as reliable. Nobody wants a second surgery,, but when it's necessary, it's your best chance at an optimal aesthetic result.

Labiaplasty wedge swelling and bulky clitoral hood

No attempt to revise your right labium should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure. If so, the change of disruption again is significant. I routinely remove the sides of the clitoral hood with a labia minora reduction if there is excess tissue. If the skin overlies the head or glans of the clitoris, that can be reduced. If the patient has a very large, protuberant, long, wide clitoral hood, I invented a procedure called a clitoropexy with a clitoral hood reduction. With this procedure, I lift up the clitoral hood skin, move the clitoris closer to the pubic bone, thin the tissues under the clitoral hood skin, and then remove a large amount of excess skin. This results in a dramatic decrease in the length, thickness, and protuberance of the clitoral hood, so that the hood is now within the labia majora when the woman stands.Your clitoral hood is still very thick and may require a such a procedure.

Gary J. Alter, MD