Labiaplasty Scar Permanent?

Hello, I am currently 5 weeks post op. I am satisfied with the overall shape, but there is a color difference between my labia and the area of the sutures. I had a wedge method, therefore, the stitches are horizontal right in the middle my labia. It is on both side and much pinker. The major color difference is so obvious. It does not hurt at all, but does feel abit hard from the stitches that havent dissolved yet. Is this permanent or an early stage of healing?

Labiaplasty scars

The scars from a labiaplasty typically heal so well that they are difficult to detect.  The labia continue to soften as the swelling resolves over several months.  Patient satisfaction is very high in my experience.

Labioplasty post op healing

Dear curiousformore,

All scars are red/pink for some months post op.  The firmness of any scar is expected and usually softens over 6 months.  I suggest that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon so he can examine your operative site and check for any early post op abnormalities. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Scars

At 5 weeks you are still quite early in the healing process. While there are some permanent scars and suture marks, the firmness and reaction from the sutures should improve with time. By 6 to 12 months your body will have matured the scars.

Victor Au, MD (retired)
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Scars

5 weeks following labiaplasty, it is very normal for the suture line to still be very obvious.  With time, this should fade quite a bit and become less noticeable.  Good luck!

Scars take a year to mature

Scars take about a year or so to mature, and when cared for properly, they tend to heal into a thin line that is barely noticeable. At this time, your scars will continue to change in appearance and the color difference should become less visible. Please follow your surgeon's care instructions to help the process along.

Changes after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  There will always be a "healing ridge" or scar tissue that forms along the incision.  This will start to thin out again 1.5 to 2 months out.  You can make this soften more quickly with manual massage of the scar line. 

Labiaplasty scars

Scars will be perceptible after labiaplasty surgery.  There are different techniques that place the scars in different locations.  An anterior resection of the labia minora will leave the scar along the outermost part of the labia minora.  A wedge resection can hide the scar much better along the natural fold of the labia and inner mucosa.  The scar for the labia majora depends on the physical exam and how much excess tissue is being resected.  This scar is often in close proximity to the outer portion of the labia minora.
Immediately after surgery and for possibly weeks afterwards, there can be swelling, itching, and irritation along the incisions.  I would wait six weeks to get a good sense of what the final result would look like, but you may even get more swelling reduction and softening of the scars for the ensuing month or two.  I would avoid doing any corrective surgery until all the swelling and softening of the scars have occurred.  Some of the bumps you feel along the scar may also soften.  It is not uncommon to use dissolvable

sutures inside the incision, and it takes time for your body to resorb them.

Regarding the color difference, I would also wait time before final assessment.  The color surrounding scars can change with time.  Active scars (1-6 weeks) often turn red/pink and then soften in color, texture and firmness over time.  There is a chance, however, with the wedge resection method, that the upper half of the remaining labia has different pigmentation than the lower half.  This will depend on the pattern of pigmentation you had before surgery.

Hope this helps.

Concern for scars at 5 weeks

Five weeks is early in the process of healing. If your scars follow the normal healing process, then they will soften and the redness should fade out over the coming months. 

Although incisions close after surgery in 1-2 weeks, it takes months for scars to mature and stabilize. Scar massage can help speed the process.

If you have continued concern or believe that the scarring is not normal, then by all means return to see your doctor who performed the surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty scar

As everyone here has staed, it is way to earlyto judge a scar at five weeks, and the firmness you are feeling is also normal. This is also a downside to the Wedge technique however, If you end up with a bad scar it is much more apparent with the wedge technique than the trim technique. most scars can be succesfully revised however, but I would wait atleast 6-9 months for a second surgery. Good Luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Pigment changes

Pigment changes around the suture line are often times temporary. The pigment changes mat resolve with ongoing healing. Full re-pigmentation /healing of the scar can take up to 12-18 months.