Labiaplasty Recovery - How Long Does It Take?

How long is the typical recovery period for Labiaplasty? What can I expect during the recovery period?

The recovery for labioplasty is fairly easy.

I usually suggest that patients take 2 full days off work/school to decrease swelling.  During this time it is imporatant to stay off your feet and ice the area.  You may shower the day after surgery and wash well with soap.  Most patients need very little pain medication.  Usually anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen is enough and narcotics are not necessary.  I preform the surgery on a Thursday so by Monday most of my patients can return to school/work.  Healing is complete in two weeks and at that point patients can resume excercise. 

Recovery after labiaplasty

The recovery depends on the type of labiaplasty performed and often the skill of the surgeon.   I invented and published the wedge technique, and my patients are usually able to go to work and travel on the second day after surgery.  You can shower on the day after surgery, exercise in 3-4 weeks, and have intercourse at six weeks.   In general, the discomfort after the wedge labiaplasty is less than the trimmng labiaplasty since the incision on the trim are along the entire length of the labia.   

Gary J. Alter, MD

Recovery from Labiaplasty, Vaginplasty

For external work (labiaplasty; reduction clitoral hood, superficial reconstruction of the vaginal opening…), you should really take it easy, mostly around the house, for 4-5 days, and, although you may return to relatively sedentary activities at work/home, you shouldn’t “push it” for another ~ 5 days. At 10-14 days after surgery (after your first post=op visit, and you are “cleared,” you may begin modest exercise, and return to normal basic activities. You may exercise fully at ~ 3-4 weeks, and climb back on your bike or lover in ~ 4-6 weeks after your surgery. (**This is for a "trim" or linear procedure.  Add ~ 25% longer for V-wedge. **)

There will actually be less pain than you may imagine, but there WILL be way more discoloration ("black and blue") and edema (swelling) than you think possible.  It can really look awful, and frequently for some reason the swelling is not equal.  The bad swelling usually lasts 5-7 days and then, day by day, it changes.  This truly is a "work in progress.." and you will not know how things will truly look for at least 4-6 weeks, and really it is 3-4 months at a minimum before things are totally healed and you will see how it truly will be.  My advice:  keep an eye on it for 24-48 hours to look for separations, bleeding, truly abnormal swelling, infection- but then do not mess with it or look closely every day or you will drive yourself and your surgeon batty! do not touch, tug, pull at it.  Let it heal...

For internal work (vaginoplasty; “vaginal rejuvenation”), the recovery is similar, but add ~ 5-7 days to everything. Do not go back to internal sexual intimacy until cleared to do so by your surgeon (usually 6-8 weeks after surgery.) Also, you may need a period of gently vaginal stretching prior to comfortable intercourse. And, don’t forget: this is the time to work on vaginal muscular strengthening exercises!

Labiaplasty recovery 2-3 days off your feet, 1 month for exercise and sexual activity.

thank you for your question.  Following Labiaplasty of the Labia Minora or Clitoral Hoodectomy,I recommend 2-3 days of bed rest and staying off your feet to reduce swelling.Ice can help the first 24 hours.he may return to work after 4-5 days however avoid vigorous exercise for 3-4 weeks and no sexual activity for 4-6 weeks.

What to expect after Labiaplasty Surgery

1. You will generally need 3-4 days at home to recover.

2. Take Tylenol or the pain medication prescribed by your plastic surgeon to relieve your pain/discomfort. DO NOT take aspirin or ibuprofen because they can increase bruising and bleeding.

3. Shower the day after surgery.

4. Clean the incision site with hydrogen peroxide and put antibiotic cream/ointment on daily.

5. Your stitches should dissolve within 2-2 ½ weeks.

6. Swelling and tenderness should disappear within 6 weeks.

7. It will take between 6 months to a year before you will see the absolute final results.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Labioplasty recovery about 3 weeks

Labioplasty recovery is about 3 weeks. By then all the wounds have healed provided no complications.

No sex for six weeks after the surgery.

These are general guidelines. However, during the recovery period meticulous care of the area is required. Check with your Plastic Surgeon for his advise.

Labiaplasty Recovery

Thanks for the great question -

In our San Francisco area practice we tell our patients that labiaplasty (for just the minora) tend to recover quickly.

We use dissolving sutures which typically are gone in a few weeks. There is usually a moderate amount of swelling for the first 2 - 3 weeks.

Usually patients can resume intimate activity at about a month.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Getting back into action after labiaplasty

The recovery from labiaplasty is usually rapid. However, it is important not to put excessive stress on the stitches holding the labia together until the tissues are securely healed. A few days after surgery most patients can resume normal daily activities, but anything the would pull or stretch the surgical area (such as sexual activity or vigorous exercise) should be avoided for six weeks.

Neal Handel, MD

Recovery after Labiaplasty

Hi Ladies,

easy:

- 3 days off your feet at home with ice pack or frozen bottle of water between you legs

- you can shower from day # 1

- most patients switch to Ibuprofen by Day # 2.

- 6 weeks no exercise, no sex, no tampons and " nobody down there " as I say.

- wear a pad and granny underwear for protection the first 2 weeks. no tight jeans.

- all sutures are absorbable.

- at 6 weeks, you can do anything.

- and it heals without a scar since it is mucosa. so yes, Men are clueless, none can tell ! and try to challenge your OB/GYN to see if can notice any changes....

- check my profile here for photos. All procedures are performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient. I also provide 100 % privacy, so none of your nosy friends or family members will know.

Florence Mussat, M.D.

Florence Mussat, MD

Labiaplasty Recovery

Every woman is different-as is every surgery and recovery.  Generally speaking, I like my patients to really “take it easy” for the first couple of days after surgery-rest, eat healthy, drink plenty of water and give their bodies a chance to heal naturally.  You can plan on getting back to work in 2-3 day.   Ice packs for the first 24 hours (and I know it’s not terribly comfortable) can help tremendously with swelling and pain.

My first follow-up exam is at 2 weeks and I ask my patients to refrain from any vigorous exercise until this exam.  Once I check a patient’s recovery personally, I usually release them to low-impact exercises that are “comfortable”, such as walking or the elliptical.   Nothing hi-impact, getting on a saddle, jarring,  hyper extending or sex at this point and generally not for at least 4-6 weeks.  You really want give yourself time to heal properly and my best advise it to to listen to your body.

I always get questions regarding “getting in water.”  I allow my patients to shower immediately after surgery with a hypoallergenic soap.  And even suggest my patients take sitz baths a few days after surgery.  Water is not only very soothing, but is cleansing and healing.  I prefer to see a patient in-person again before swimming.

Typically, it’s business as usual in 6 weeks, but again, it’s a very individual process.  Always consult with your surgeon if you have any questions.

Dr Lori Warren

Lori Warren, MD
Louisville Urogynecologist