Labiaplasty Recovery - How Long Does It Take?

How long is the typical recovery period for Labiaplasty? What can I expect during the recovery period?

Recovery from Labiaplasty, Vaginplasty

For external work (labiaplasty; reduction clitoral hood, superficial reconstruction of the vaginal opening…), you should really take it easy, mostly around the house, for 4-5 days, and, although you may return to relatively sedentary activities at work/home, you shouldn’t “push it” for another ~ 5 days. At 10-14 days after surgery (after your first post=op visit, and you are “cleared,” you may begin modest exercise, and return to normal basic activities. You may exercise fully at ~ 3-4 weeks, and climb back on your bike or lover in ~ 4-6 weeks after your surgery. (**This is for a "trim" or linear procedure.  Add ~ 25% longer for V-wedge. **)

There will actually be less pain than you may imagine, but there WILL be way more discoloration ("black and blue") and edema (swelling) than you think possible.  It can really look awful, and frequently for some reason the swelling is not equal.  The bad swelling usually lasts 5-7 days and then, day by day, it changes.  This truly is a "work in progress.." and you will not know how things will truly look for at least 4-6 weeks, and really it is 3-4 months at a minimum before things are totally healed and you will see how it truly will be.  My advice:  keep an eye on it for 24-48 hours to look for separations, bleeding, truly abnormal swelling, infection- but then do not mess with it or look closely every day or you will drive yourself and your surgeon batty! do not touch, tug, pull at it.  Let it heal...

For internal work (vaginoplasty; “vaginal rejuvenation”), the recovery is similar, but add ~ 5-7 days to everything. Do not go back to internal sexual intimacy until cleared to do so by your surgeon (usually 6-8 weeks after surgery.) Also, you may need a period of gently vaginal stretching prior to comfortable intercourse. And, don’t forget: this is the time to work on vaginal muscular strengthening exercises!

Recovery after labiaplasty

The recovery depends on the type of labiaplasty performed and often the skill of the surgeon.   I invented and published the wedge technique, and my patients are usually able to go to work and travel on the second day after surgery.  You can shower on the day after surgery, exercise in 3-4 weeks, and have intercourse at six weeks.   In general, the discomfort after the wedge labiaplasty is less than the trimmng labiaplasty since the incision on the trim are along the entire length of the labia.   

Gary J. Alter, MD

The recovery for labioplasty is fairly easy.

I usually suggest that patients take 2 full days off work/school to decrease swelling.  During this time it is imporatant to stay off your feet and ice the area.  You may shower the day after surgery and wash well with soap.  Most patients need very little pain medication.  Usually anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen is enough and narcotics are not necessary.  I preform the surgery on a Thursday so by Monday most of my patients can return to school/work.  Healing is complete in two weeks and at that point patients can resume excercise. 

Recovery after labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Its possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help. Direct massage may be useful

Labiaplasty recovery 2-3 days off your feet, 1 month for exercise and sexual activity.

thank you for your question.  Following Labiaplasty of the Labia Minora or Clitoral Hoodectomy,I recommend 2-3 days of bed rest and staying off your feet to reduce swelling.Ice can help the first 24 hours.he may return to work after 4-5 days however avoid vigorous exercise for 3-4 weeks and no sexual activity for 4-6 weeks.

Labioplasty recovery about 3 weeks

Labioplasty recovery is about 3 weeks. By then all the wounds have healed provided no complications.

No sex for six weeks after the surgery.

These are general guidelines. However, during the recovery period meticulous care of the area is required. Check with your Plastic Surgeon for his advise.

Labiaplasty Recovery

Thanks for the great question -

In our San Francisco area practice we tell our patients that labiaplasty (for just the minora) tend to recover quickly.

We use dissolving sutures which typically are gone in a few weeks. There is usually a moderate amount of swelling for the first 2 - 3 weeks.

Usually patients can resume intimate activity at about a month.

Recovery from labiaplasty

I use a long-acting injectable pain medication when performing labiaplasty, which reduces or eliminates most of the early discomfort after this procedure. Most of my patients spend 3 days icing and elevating the pelvis. You can return to a non-strenuous job as soon as you feel comfortable. Light activities and errands are ok, but a full return to strenuous exercise, sexual intercourse, and swimming is not advised until 6 weeks after surgery.

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

Recovery after Labiaplasty

Women usually have a short recovery after labiaplasty.  It of course depends on how extensive the surgery is.  For a straightforward labiaplasty, with shortening and shaping of the labia, most women return to work within a few days and don't need to take any pain medication other than Tylenol.  Women can shower the next day after a labiaplasty, but should avoid baths or swimming for at least a few weeks.  Patients can return to the gym and exercise a few weeks after labiaplasty surgery.  I have women avoid any sexual intercourse for one month after surgery to make sure all the incisions are fully healed.  

Recovery from Labiaplasty

Recovery from labiaplasty usually take about 4 to 6 weeks until full sexual activity can be resumed.  Suture dissolve in one to two weeks (requiring some cleaning and ointment).  Vigorous activity other than sex in 3 to 4 weeks, and most patients return to work in 3 to 5 days.