Labiaplasty: Plastic Surgeon or Ob-Gyn?

Is a board certified Plastic Surgeon more qualified than a board certified OB-Gyn to perform labiaplasty or vaginoplasty procedures? How can one tell if their ob-gyn is qualified to do these types of cosmetic procedures?

Doctor Answers 16

Who Should Perform Your Labiaplasty?

This is a great question as this is an area that has cross over between plastic surgeons and Ob-Gyn surgeons. Either surgeon can perform the procedure if they have had proper training in the procedure.

It is important to ask for before and after pictures or samples of the work they have performed. Also to ask how the procedure is performed as there are several different methods.

The term vaginal rejuvenation is a broad term that can be used to encompass several procedures with the overall goal of improving the appearance of the vaginal area.

The most common method for rejuvenation is trimming the labia minora (inner lips) this will remove the excess skin that may hang below the vagina. This is what I would recommend in your particular situation.

I recommend the wedge resection, which will improve the overall shape of the inner labia. This will remove the excess skin that is visible in the picture you have posted. With this method it limits the visible incision and giving patients a very natural result.

I would recommend that you consult your board certified plastic surgeon so that you can be evaluated and discuss your options.

Plastic Surgeon or OB for labiaplasty

Labiaplasty is a straightforward procedure with both aesthetic and functional goals.  Plastic surgery is a surgical specialty, and all plastic surgeons must demonstrate surgical expertise in all areas of the body to become board certified.  While there are also excellent OB-Gyn surgeons, the specialty is both medical and surgical.  In general, you need to be more careful about who you choose if you decide upon a Gynecologist to do the procedure.... It should be a Gynecologist with experience and a satisfactory comfort level with labiaplasty.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Labiaplasty Surgeon Needs Experience

With regards to who is better at performing a cosmetic labiaplasty or vaginoplasty, it really depends on the experience of the surgeon.  Even though Ob/Gyn physicians have constant contact with the vaginal area, that does not mean that they know how to properly address the issues that go into cosmetic restoration of the labia, clitoral hood, and/or vaginal canal.  Also, most Ob/Gyn do not do these types of surgeries in their training, so they get very little exposure to these surgical procedures before they begin their practices.  Plastic surgeons generally get a fair amount of exposure to these surgeries as a resident, and often times are better equipped to handle the technical aspects of the procedures, as well as dealing with cosmetic patients in general.  I hope this helps.

Choosing Between a Plastic Surgeon and Ob/Gyn for Labiaplasty

Both plastic surgeons and ob/gyns perform labiaplasty procedures.  Choosing which one is right for your surgery really comes down to a comfort level with the surgeon.  Good luck!

Plastic Surgeon or Ob-Gyn?

Thank you for your question. Both Board Certified specialties are qualified to perform this procedure. I hope this helps!

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews


You can go to anyone that performs (legally) labiaplasty that informs and satisfies you well enough.

Alper Tuncel, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

I may be biased in my answer but I believe a well trained plastic surgeon with experience in the procedure is better qualified.

Most gynecologists are trained in surgery of the pelvic organs and not intricate skin surgery.  Delicate tissue handling and having a 3D understanding of structures is paramount in achieving the most natural results.

Who should perform labia reduction surgery?

If I were doing research, I would find a board certified plastic surgeon who has lots of experience with this procedure because someone with experience is what you want. Ask to see before and after photos as well as talking to patients who have had surgery.

Ob/Gyn vs Plastic Surgeon for labiaplasty


It really depends upon what you want the result to look like. I think experienced plastic surgeons make them look better. Gyns tend to do Trim operations which are not so pretty and hurt more (my observation.)



Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD 

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Labiaplasty - Who is Qualified?

Surgeons from different specialties, certainly including these two, are qualified - at least in theory - to perform this surgery.  But how about a Urologist?  He or she may, arguably, be even more capable at doing the surgery.

And that's the question:  not just who is "qualified" - but who can do it well.  It often comes down to ability, experience, approach to the procedure, etc.

You'll need to interview several doctors and talk to them, see how they would address your concerns, etc.

No simple answer....and although board-certification is a minimum, that's all it is.  Regardless of the credentials of a surgeon you have to try to get a sense of how "capable" the surgeon actually is.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.