I Had Labiaplasty with Hood Reduction 2 Weeks Ago, when Will the Swelling of the Hood Go Down? Tips to Speed Up the Process?

I had the trim method btw. I also feel that it will still be sticking out from a standing view. What can I do to get the "slit" look?

Tips To Speed Swelling After Labiaplasty

Two Weeks  is too soon to expect edema to resolve, worry that it will not or know your final result. Labia often swell quickly and asymmetrically early on for the first 2-3 days and varies widely from patient to patient. Pain is variable from patient to patient.  Ice is often use to decrease the swellign and discomfort for the first 2-3 days (do not put ice directly on skin). Sitz baths in warm water though good for cleaning and possible infection prevention can cause increased swelling. It can last several weeks to months and vary from day to day if you overdo it, eat a salty meal. Things you can try for early edema resolution: Low salt diet, arnica, bromelain, Ibuprofen. You should have a good idea of your final appearance by 3 months. I tell my patients, for most you are 85% of the way to your final result in about 3 months the rest takes up to a year.
#labiaplasty
#labiaplastyswelling
#labiareduction

Labiaplasty swelling

Thank you for your question. Labiaplasty swelling can be very intense, especially if accompanied by bruising or hematoma. The labial tissue can expand quite a bit compared to other areas of the body, and it is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other. I generally tell my patients that it will be weeks of swelling, with each week getting better than the previous. I ask them to avoid anything that can induce swelling such as strenuous activity or friction on the labia for upto six weeks. I also recommend that they keep the labia fairly lubricated (e.g. vaseline or aquafor) during the initial couple weeks when the swelling is most intense. The end results should be fairly obvious around the six week, and there can be intermittent swelling due to over activity or too much friction for another six weeks.

At about 6 weeks, most of the swelling will have resolved assuming an uncomplicated postoperative course.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Swelling after clitoral hood reduction

HI,

I tell my patients that what they see isn't what they get for three months. I use the wedge resection method which also pulls on the hood to flatten and tighten it. Be patient in regards to swelling there is nothing specific that will help other than time.

Regards,

Daniel  Medalie

Dear Cherry,

Thank you for your post.  Swelling can last for quite a while after labiaplasty.  Give it a few months to assess.  A revision may or may not be necessary.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Hood reduction with swelling

Usually 80% of swelling goes down by six weeks but it can take 4-6 months.   You may need a different technique than the one you had to give the "slit" look.  I perform a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction which pushes the clitoris closer to the pubic bone. This causes the clitoris not to protrude and enables me to remove much more clitoral hood skin while maintaining a normal appearance and coverage of the head of the clitoris. I invented this technique and have been doing it for about seven years but have not yet published it. I suggest you wait until all the swelling resolves to determine the final appearance.

Gary J. Alter, MD