Just Had Labiaplasty Done 3 Days Ago. Is This Typical Swelling After a Labiaplasty? (photo)

Just Had the Procedure Done 3 Days Ago. I can barely walk, the red swollen area is burning and extremely sensitive/tender to the touch. I can't wear anything tight on the area. Been following the doctors instructions of sitz baths 3x a day and antibiotic ointment (bacitracin) on the stitches 2x a day. I'm really concerned about the big swollen tissue forming? I never had labia minora that hung out before, I actually had surgery on my labia majora....and now this? What is it and how can I get it to go away? Help!!

Labiaplasty post op care in Los Angeles

Swelling is common after labiaplasty. Many patients will want to examine the area when it is swollen, but retraction may further aggravate the incision line. I would recommend less strenuous activity and a visit to your surgeon if you are concerned about the incision line. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Labiaplasty post op expectations

Its normal and expected for the whole labial area to swell after surgery in that area.  Spending a good deal of your time reclining can be helpful in controlling the pain and swelling and cold packs can help too (but no ice directly against the skin.)  If you are standing, gravity pulls swelling into the area and increases the discomfort.

Contact your physician for more help if the burning pain can't be brought under control!

Your look will change quite a lot before you reach your end result, so be patient.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Maximum Labial Swelling first 2-3 Days Expected

Three days is too soon to expect edema to resolve or know your final result. Labia often swell quickly and asymmetrically early on for the first 2-3 days and varies widely from patient to patient. Sitz baths in warm water though good for cleaning and possible infection prevention can cause increased swelling.  It can last several weeks to months and vary from day to day if you overdo it, eat a salty meal. Things you can try for early edema resolution: Low salt diet, arnica, bromelain, Ibuprofen. You should have a good idea of your final appearance by 3 months. I tell my patients, for most you are 85% of the way to your final result in about 3 months the rest takes up to a year.
#labiaplasty
#labiaplastyswelling
#labiareduction

Bruising and swelling after labiaplasty

Swelling can persist for several weeks especially when there is a lot of brusing
Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Swelling can persist for two or three months. Ice can help reduce swelling.

Swelling after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. Labiaplasty swelling can be very intense, especially if accompanied by bruising or hematoma. The labial tissue can expand quite a bit compared to other areas of the body, and it is not uncommon for one side to swell more than the other. I generally tell my patients that it will be weeks of swelling, with each week getting better than the previous. I ask them to avoid anything that can induce swelling such as strenuous activity or friction on the labia for upto six weeks. I also recommend that they keep the labia fairly lubricated (e.g. vaseline or aquafor) during the initial couple weeks when the swelling is most intense. The end results should be fairly obvious around the six week, and there can be intermittent swelling due to over activity or too much friction for another six weeks.

Swelling after Labiaplasty is Common

Swelling after labial surgery is quite common.  It is very important in the first 48 hours to rest and ice.  If not, I see much more swelling in my patients.  Surgery of the labia majora tends to bleed more and leads to more swelling of the area.  It is important for you to follow up with your surgeon and follow his advice.  The swelling should start to resolve over the next few days.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after labiaplasty is normal

and yours in not unusual.  Your surgeon should be helping you through this sensitive time and you should be trying to do things to help diminish swelling.  Continue good wound care and it will improve with time.  Keep your surgeon informed and he/she should instruct you on what to do and provide you the reassurances it will all be good.

Curtis Wong, MD

Is this typical swelling after labiaplasty?

Thank you for your question and photos. These are the questions you need to ask your operataing surgeon. Swelling in the labia after surgery is not uncommon. The tissues are loose and swelling gravitates there, especially if you spend a lot of time standing. I have my patients wear wear supportive boy shorts (not boxers) and use a small pillow under the buttocks at night to cause a pelvic tilt for better lymphatic drainage. I do not recommend sitz baths, only antibiotic ointment to the suture line after you rinse the area post urination. The swelling will be greatly improved within the next week. The labia minora get swollen as well for the same reasons. Good luck, follow up with your surgeon and discuss your concerns and worries. He/she is there to help you.

Just Had Labiaplasty Done 3 Days Ago. Is This Typical Swelling After a Labiaplasty?

Make sure you followup with your surgeon, but swelling is inevitable after labiaplasty.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA