Labia Reduction Need: Should I Ask my GP, or a Plastic Surgeon?

also if i wanted a female doctor would that be possible or would i get whatever doctor was available? It is very uncomfortable during sex and also during exercise. helpp :((

Labial Reduction

Best to consult your gynecologist and or plastic surgeon since both are trained for the procedure.  GP may not be comfortable with assessment. 

Labia Reduction by female plastic surgeon

A board certified plastic surgeon or gynaecologist can help. I do find that patients have expressed that they are more comfortable with a female doctor when dealing with this issue, simply because we share the same anatomy.

You can do an online search for female plastic surgeons in your area. While there probably won't be as many, I'm sure you'll be able to find one in your area. However, it is important that they are qualified and that you can trust them.

Labiaplasty can be performed by any doctor who is qualified and licensed due to the somewhat lax regulations that currently exist. However for your safety, it is best to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in performing labiaplasty. 

Female Labiaplasty Surgeon

For labiaplasty surgery, you should go to a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty.  Many women like yourself look for female surgeons, I also have all female staff in the OR for these particular patients. I specialize in labiaplasty and many of my patients complain about similar things before they have surgery. In addition to patients feeling self conscious, many patients also have discomfort or see a bulge in their clothing. I truly feel that this surgery helps improve women's quality of life. Please look on my website for some photos and testimonials about this surgery. Please feel free to look at my before and after pictures.

Vaginoplasty Female Doctor

Discomfort during sex or exercise is certainly an indication for vaginoplasty.
It is most important to have a trusting relationship with your surgeon.  I am sure that you can find and meet in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic or Obstetrical Surgeon to perform this procedure.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Labioplasty : Where to get information.

I strongly recommend that you find a surgeon who is very experienced with this procedure.  It is not unreasonable to start with your GP or gynecologist, but in my experience patients tell me that they get "shut down" when they inquire about labioplasty.  Even amongst doctors there is a lot of confusion and misinformation about this procedure. Don't be afraid to ask your plastic surgeon how many of these procedures he/she does.  This is not a particularly difficult operation but it does require finesse and understanding of the (very important) anatomy "down there"!  So, do your research ahead of time and it will pay off.  Labioplasty patients are one of the happiest groups of patients in my practice!  Almost every one of them says "I only wish I would have done this sooner!"

Mary Gingrass, MD

Which doctor for labiaplasty

Labiaplastiy is a surgical operation.  Surgery should be done by surgeons who are familiar with the anatomy, indications, risks/benefits of the operation.  Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon. Together you will review the goals and see if this is a reasonable option.  

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

A board certified plastic surgeon who regularly performs these procedures would be the one to assess your anatomy and what is realistic for improvement.

Doctor for Labiaplasty?

Because labiaplasty is a surgery you will eventually want to wind up in a surgeons hands (such as a board certified plastic surgeon whom speciailzes in this procedure).   Although no promises, issues such as "uncomfortable sex and exercise" are one of the main indications for the surgery and resolution can be expected following surgery. Glad to help  

Ryan Stanton, MD

When thinking of a labiaplasty

it would be better to discuss with plastic surgeon as it is a plastic surgeon that will be doing your procedure.  Realize that everyone is 'normal' but certainly some people have more redundancies than others and labiaplasty can be beneficial in that regard.  Do this for yourself and only yourself.

Curtis Wong, MD