Labia Minora Asymmetry?

I have an asymmetrical set of labia minora. One is twice the length of the other one; they are each 0.5cm and 1cm approximately. I have a couple of questions regarding this: first, is 1cm considered long? How severe is my asymmetry? Is this okay? And would you recommend labia reduction? That's all for now. Thank you in advance for your time and concern!

Labia asymmetry - is this normal?

This is very normal. No two labia's look exactly the same.  I have preformed many labiaplasties for patients with your concerns. It really just depends on how much it bugs you either emotionally or physically. If you continue to be bothered by it,  I strongly recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for some advice. 

Jennifer Harrington MD

Labia asymmetry - is this normal?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Jennifer Harrington MD

Labia Asymmetry

Like most halves of our bodies, the labia too are rarely perfectly symmetric.  In general, the primary indication for labiaplasty is patient dissatisfaction with the appearance and/or function.  0.5 and 1 cm length are frankly not considered excessive but I have had numerous patients satisfied with labiaplasty after only removing a very small amount.  The next step would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon (or gynecologist) that specializes in labiaplasty to further explore your options and develop a final plan.  Glad to help... 

Labia Asymmetry

Labia Minora Asymmtery

It is normal to have different sizes of labia minora.  1 cm of width is a common width to leave them after labiaplasty, so they are not particularly overgrown.  Treat them only if they bother you symptomatically or cosmetically.

Labia Minora Asymmtery

Labia surgery

is a very personal decision and you should be doing it if something really bothers you about them.  If they are asymmetric, that is nothing abnormal.  If they don't bother you in any way, don't have the surgery.  Make sure your motivations are from you before having this surgery.

Labia surgery

Labia Minora Asymmetry and Labiaplasty

Labia minora asymmetry is not uncommon and is not abnormal.  Labial lengths of 0.5 and 1.0 cm are also within the normal range.  I would not consider your asymmetry severe and would only suggest a labiaplasty if it causes you physical or psychological discomfort.  Best wishes. 

Labia Minora Asymmetry and Labiaplasty

Labia minora asymmetry OK? (San Diego)

No, 1 cm. long labia minora is not abnormal, and no, asymmetry is not abnormal.  There is a wide range of appearance and dimension of vulvar structures within normal limits.  For this reason, labiaplasty and other vulvar procedures to adjust size, shape, and symmetry are considered "cosmetic."  If the asymmetry or other features bother you, correction should be considered, but be assured and confident that YES, it is OK.  

Labia minora asymmetry OK? (San Diego)

Labia Minora Asymmetry?

In general, 1 cm of projection is not a great deal of projection.  The choice to even them out is up to you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Labia Minora Asymmetry?

Labia Minora Reduction Candidate?

Thank you for the question. Some degree of labia minora asymmetry is quite common. Although it is not possible to determine whether you are a good candidate for labia minora reduction surgery based on the limited information here, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.

Enlarged labia minora can be functionally or psycho-socially bothersome. Local irritation, problems with personal hygiene, interference or discomfort with sexual intercourse and discomfort during cycling, horseback riding, wearing exercise clothing, walking or sitting are common complaints related to enlarged labia minora.
For these patients, judicious reduction of the labia minora may serve to improve the physical comfort during specific activity. Often, patients may not have symptoms related to the labia minora but are simply not pleased with the appearance of the redundant and/or dark skin. Surgical correction for these patients may help improve the patient’s self image or confidence. In these cases, like any procedure performed for “aesthetic” reasons, it is important to ascertain that the patient is internally motivated (doing the procedure for herself) not motivated by another party.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Labia Minora Reduction Candidate?

Labiaplasty

Thank you for posting your question. Without pictures it is hard to give you an accurate answer. Let me start by telling you that there is no role for what a normal external genitalia should look. In the recent study that we published, we aim to find a better classification to contact arise patients with labia protrusion. It is hard to go by centimeters because it is unclear from where to where the measurements are taken.  What I have found in my practice that once the labia minor or starts to protrude past the labia majora this is when patients starts to report symptoms. The symptoms varied form discomfort with tight clothing, during exercising, and in very rare occasions  pulling during sexual intercourse. Protrusions between 1-2 cm past the labia majora are considered mild. Those patients with protrusion between 2 and 3 cm are considered moderate, and patient who have the protrusion of more than 3 cm are considered to have a severe protrusion of the labia minora.

It is possible to see asymmetrical growth of the labia minora. This could be a congenital problem or an acquired problem. Most patients that I have seen to have an acquired problem started to notice it during puberty. I have found a my practice at the best technique to correct this is using a wedge labiaplasty. I feel you have better control of the residual shape of the labioplasty. In many instances of asymmetry, once I have corrected the most obviously protruding this labia, I have noticed that the contralateral side is now given the appearance of more protrusion needing correction. With this in mind every patient with asymmetry is taken to the operating room knowing that is possible that surgery would be needed even in the side that appears initially to be normal.

Hope this answer was helpful. Good luck!

Labiaplasty

Asymmetry of my labia minora

Please keep in mind that no two sides of anyone's body is exactly the same either before or after surgery.  That being said asymmetry can certainly be improved upon by performing a labiaplasty.  It is my opinion that the ideal appearance of the labia minora exists when the labia minora do not extend past the labia majora.

Asymmetry of my labia minora