My cheeks are quite puffy after 3 weeks.

I am 66 years old and weigh 123lbs. My face is square to round. Will this calm down or keep getting puffier. My doctor suggested waiting until September for my second treatment. She said that it worked really well for me but I am a bit leery of the puffiness. thank you. It has been 3 1/2 weeks.

Following Sculptra Injection

Dear Mary, Swelling after Sculptra usually lasts about 1 to 2 weeks. Body cannot make that much collagen as fast in 3 weeks that changes the look of your face in a noticeable way. Perhaps still your body is reacting to Sculptra in form of local inflammation and swelling. It also depends on how your injector prepared your vial and how thick it was. I usually do facial mapping of the face and treat the whole face including the temples, cheeks , above jowl, nasolabial fold and Marionette line. The amount of injection at each area in each person can be different depending on the individual patient's pattern of aging. I recommended to do the follow up with your doctor and I would not recommend the second set of Sculptra injection until the swelling is gone. Hopefully your doctor has good before/baseline pictures and it can be compared with your current look of your face to better track the changes. Good luck!

Irvine Physician

Sculptra Results -- Swelling and Collagen Production

Swelling can last a few weeks, I suggest waiting 6 weeks before considering another treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculptra Treatment Larchmont Village

Hello and thank you for the question.  At 3 weeks from the procedure, it is unlikely that the product has worked so quickly in regards to forming new collagen and creating excessive volume.  You are likely experiencing prolonged reaction to the product which is translating into swelling.  I would anticipate this will reside, but I agree with your clinician in delaying your second treatment for a couple of months. Best of luck !Warmest Regards,Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Cheek puffiness after Voluma

I'm not clear if what you mean is that the cheeks are overfilled or if they are swollen. All the swelling should be gone by this time and what you are left with is the correction, provided there is nothing else going on. If the cheeks are done independent of filling other areas of the face, the appearance will look unnatural. Temples, tear troughs, NLF, marionette lines, and preauricular areas all will have volume deficit in your age group and should be addressed as well. I prefer Sculptra for a panfacial volumization rather picking and choosing areas to fill.

Steven F. Weiner, MD