Do I need Rhinoplasty? (photos)

I've always been self conscious of my nose. I feel like I need rhinoplasty because of the bulbous tip.

A better question is; Do you want rhinoplasty?

Dear pandaa87 in La Puente, California: You are an attractive lady.  The decision to have rhinoplasty is based on your desire to have the procedure done.  Need is an inappropriate term when it comes to cosmetic surgery because no one “needs to have cosmetic surgery.”  It is not essential to life function.  But, it is important for many people and I can tell you that rhinoplasty is a popular procedure because it is successful.  If you think that you would like to have a rhinoplasty and are not sure, then the consultation process needs to be utilized.  You want to do your homework before consultation.  Prepare well for your consultation.  When you search, look for rhinoplasty super-specialists.  These are surgeons whose practice is the majority or entirely devoted to rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and related procedures.  This would include both primary and revision rhinoplasty surgery.  Why not have the most specialized talent in your service?  Part of your preparation for consultation should be preparing a list of questions beforehand.  Bring a notepad or ipad or laptop with you and take notes as the surgeon answers the question you are asking.  You should spend more time with the surgeon than with the office administrative staff, because you need to get a sense of whether you are comfortable with the doctor.  You should not feel rushed that you are on a consultation conveyer belt.  If the presentation by the office staff seems a bit to “salesie” that is a bit of a yellow or red light.  Take a friend or relative along since 2 heads are better than 1 in gaining information and understanding.  In the end, the purpose of the consultation is for you to be educated and be comfortable.  Ask yourself 2 key questions: “Is this surgeon teaching or selling?”  and secondly, “Can I put my life and my face into this particular surgeon’s hands?  Can I trust him?” There are excellent books out there that you can read and use to study up. It is worth the homework time you put in up front so that you make the right decision with respect to choosing a surgeon who has the talent, experience, and degree of super-specialization that you certainly want to have.  When you visit doctor’s websites, the most important feature on the site is the before and after gallery.  If there are just a few examples of rhinoplasty or revision rhinoplasty, you wonder how much experience the surgeon has performing such surgeries.  There need to be dozens and dozens of examples.  The more examples there are, the more likely you will see one or more that demonstrate situations similar to yours.  Look closely at the photos for natural results.  That is what you want.  Nobody wants to carry a sign saying “I have had a rhinoplasty.” A consultation without computer imaging is, in my opinion, of much less value.  Why shouldn’t you see the predicted result of the procedure the doctor is proposing?  At consultation, photos are taken of you and loaded into a computer system that morphs your present appearance into the anticipated “after” based on the nasal surgeons input.  Imaging is an incomparable learning tool because it provides a forum for doctor and patient agreement on what would satisfy the patient and what is, in the doctor’s opinion, achievable.  After all, cosmetic surgery is 100% visual.  It is about appearance, so without a visual evidence of what is planned, how can you make a decision as to whether or not you might be satisfied.  Talking about it is worthless.  To anticipate a successful outcome, there must be a meeting of the minds between surgeon and patient.
Best wishes, Robert Kotler, MD, FACSOver 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Do I need a rhinoplasty?

All cosmetic surgery is a personal decision. I see patient in consultation and listen to what they want, discuss the various alternatives and then let the patient decide what they want to do.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Do I need Rhinoplasty?

Dear PandaNo one NEEDS a cosmetic rhinoplasty. Your photos suggest that you may like your appearance better if you refine the tip area. To discuss the exact techniques I would recommend require seeing more views and preferably an examination.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

RHINOPLASTY CANDIDATE

DEAR PANDAA87, SINCE YOU ARE SELF CONSCIOUS REGARDING THE APPEARANCE OF YOUR NOSE THEN I WOULD SUGGEST SEEKING CONSULTATION WITH SOME EXPERTS IN THE FIELD OF RHINOPLASTY TO DISCUSS YOUR OPTIONS WITH SURGERY. DURING CONSULTATION DIGITAL IMAGING CAN BE PERFORMED TO SHOW YOU THE PROPOSED SURGICAL RESULTS TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION YOUR NASAL ANATOMY. YOU WILL ALSO HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO REVIEW MANY BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOGRAPHS OF NOSES SIMILAR TO YOURS AND ALSO TO ENSURE THAT THE SURGEON PERFORMS NATURAL LOOKING RHINOPLASTY RESULTS. AFTER THESES STEPS HAVE BEEN TAKEN YOU CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION REGARDING WHETHER YOU WOULD LIKE TO MOIVE FORWARD WITH RHINOPLASTY SURGERY. SEE SOME EXAMPLES IN THE LINK BELOW AND VIDEO ABOVE. BEST REGARDS, MICHAEL V. ELAM, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Do I need a rhinoplasty

I would recommend visiting with a few rhinoplasty surgeons to see what they recommend after an in person evaluation. If you feel like you want to refine the tip of your nose, I think you would be a good candidate. 
Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do I need Rhinoplasty?

Hello pandaa87 -Thanks for your question.  A properly performed tip rhinoplasty can help harmonize your nose better.  Your bridge looks great, so I would not recommend a full rhinoplasty.  I hope this helps.Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for the bulbous tip

A closed rhinoplasty procedure  can accomplish reduction of the bulbous tip. To reduce the bulbous tip requires suture techniques and  a  conservative cartilage removal. Also important to adjust the bridge line and the nasal bones according to the new tip, so that the entire nose balances with itself, and the new nose balances with the patient's facial features.

Rhinoplasty for a more feminine and attractive nose.

Rhinoplasty for a more feminine and attractive nose. Your bulbous tip can be refined, etc and this will give you a more feminine nose. Only u can decide if it is worth it. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and at a complimentary consultation aided by digital photography you will be able to see how your nose and face might look with surgery.  So go on some consults with experts in your area and become informed
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Do I need Rhinoplasty?

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon