How much is a nose job and how long is the recovery? (Photo)

Im 20 years old and have a bigish bump, well I THINK its big, and i just know my fave would look much better without it. How long does the recovry take and how much would it be? I just want the bump gone.

How much does a nose job(rhinoplasty) cost?

The cost of a rhinoplasty can be between $4500-8500 depending on its complexity and where it is performed. You usually have a splint on for about a week and you need to not do any heavy activity for at least two weeks. Healing though takes much longer. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You are an awesome candidate for a rhinoplasty.  The recovery is about a week because there will be a splint on the nose during that time.  I think you would be surprised that it's not that difficult to undergo.  Choose your surgeon carefully based on experience.  Expect the cost to be between $7000 and $9000 total.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

RHINOPLASTY RECOVERY

In average the recovery for a rhinoplasty is around 2 weeks. By that time most of the bruising is gone and the cast over the nose has been removed. There will still be some swelling at that time, that is going to take time before it goes away completely, but you can be on your daily activities. The cost is variable, even in the same state, you will find differences in the cost, many variables are involved, the surgeon's experience, if the procedure is done in a hospital vs a surgical facility, etc.

Recovery is 7-10 days. Cost depends on rhinoplasty complexity.

Dear Sighruuhh2324 in La Puente, California:

Indeed it looks like you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. If there is no breathing and/or sinus problems or issues, then a straight rhinoplasty itself would be the proper procedure and you can expect to have recovery in 7-10 days. By 10 days you can resume all athletic activities. Generally the first 4-5 days you may still have the dressing on your nose.

No question that you should consider having the procedure if you “think it is big.” Be sure to have computer imaging when you for your consultation.

A consultation without computer imaging is, in my opinion, of much less value. Why shouldn’t you see the predicted result of the procedure the doctor is proposing? At consultation, photos are taken of you and loaded into a computer system that morphs your present appearance into the anticipated “after” based on the nasal surgeons input.

Imaging is an incomparable learning tool because it provides a forum for doctor and patient agreement on what would satisfy the patient and what is, in the doctor’s opinion, achievable. After all, cosmetic surgery is 100% visual. It is about appearance, so without a visual evidence of what is planned, how can you make a decision as to whether or not you might be satisfied. Talking about it is worthless.

To anticipate a successful outcome, there must be a meeting of the minds between surgeon and patient.

When you go for consultation, bring a friend or family member. There is a lot to learn. You want to take notes and also, even before you go for consultation, compile a list of questions you want to ask. It is important to have the best consultation and the best consultation answers all of your questions.

Prepare for consultation by looking at a lot of nasal surgery superspecialist websites. You want to have a good sense of the doctor’s talent. The before and after galleries are very important. Also look at results of the cases where one can see the before, the computer image, after, and then the final result. That is very helpful.

There are excellent books out there that you can read and use to study up.

It is worth the homework time you put in up front so that you make the right decision with respect to choosing a surgeon who has the talent, experience, and degree of super-specialization that you certainly want to have.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Robert Kotler, MD

Bump on nose

Generally speaking, you can expect to go back to normal activity after 1-2 weeks.  The amount of swelling is different for everyone; most of the swelling will go down the first few months but it could take up to 1 year.  The cost of a rhinoplasty varies greatly depending on where the practice is and the surgeon.

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery for dorsal hump removal

The dorsal hump was composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it. Osteotomies of the nasal bones are then performed to narrow the bridge line. In our practice, we place a cast across the bridge of the nose for one week. Anticipate 2 weeks of visible swelling and bruising. Depending upon the healing process, most patients experience some sort of swelling and edema even for several months after the procedure. Full healing takes  approximately one year.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and the photo and I would go on complimentary consultations with experts in your area who will take your photo digitally and then show you what can be accomplished. Then I would look at photos of similar patients, so you can compare photos, fees and find your surgeon

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Cost of Rhinoplasty and Length of Recovery

Cost will vary depending on what needs to be done. An examination or at least a full set of nasal pictures as described on my website will be necessary to determine if just a hump removal will accomplish your goals. However, it will cost about $6500-9500. Most patients can return to their normal personal and professional activities 7-10 days after surgery.

Rhinoplasty hump removal

Having a dorsal hump taken down is a very common reason for undergoing rhinoplasty.  That being said, there may also be some unrecognized issues, such as a deep radix, that may need to be addressed.  This will require a good exam and multiple views to fully assess.  Recovery for everyone is a little different.  Pain is usually close to resolved, if not gone, after 7-10 days, although there may be some lingering tenderness or numbness.  The swelling is most significant for the first 2 weeks.  The rest of the edema will slowly resolve over the subsequent months.  There may also be some bruising that can take up to 2 weeks to fully resolve.  As for the price of rhinoplasty, it can vary depending on geography, surgeon, and anesthesia/facility fees, so it is best to consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon for accurate information.  Best of luck.  

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon