I had my lips injected with Juvederm today. Any suggestions? (photos)

When I smile the middle part of my lip is pulling to the side not the center of my teeth where it used to be. Will this subside in a few days?

Lip injections and Juvederm

It will take at least a week to resolve the swelling from the fillers in your lips. You can ice and sleep with your head elevated in the meanwhile. Lip injections are an art. Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm for lips

You do have some swelling but the overall shape of your lips looks quite nice.  In the before photo, you have lifting of the left side of your mouth which is probably normal for you.  It is exaggerated now because of the swelling but should go back to your usual smile in a few more days.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Swelling/Bruising/Lumpiness (early) from Fillers

I always tell my patients to not love their filler injections for 2 weeks. Swelling is very common and sometimes immediate. It can last 3-7 days and a good idea is to use cold compresses. Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area but gentle massage might be necessary if the bump is from the filler material itself. Get Arnica gel if you can find some and apply a few times a day as well to help treat any swelling. Avoid any blood thinners. Bruising can also last 1-2 weeks. I don't recommend hyaluronidase this early and wait a few weeks until the swelling has resolved. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Juvederm lip injection

It's perfectly normal to have swelling after lip injections with filler . The swelling will subside after several days to 1 week . Cool compresses for the first 24-48 hours help. Some  assymetries can correct themselves if the swelling is due to bruising on one side or the other. You should follow up with your plastic surgeon after the swelling has subsided if you are still concerned. Sometimes you may need  alittle more filler to correct the assymetries if they exist . 

Swelling after filler

Hello, and thanks for your question.

Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

I had my lips injected with Juvederm today. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  This pulling appearance to your lips is as a result of the swelling that has taken place from the injections of Juvederm and will resolve over the next 48 hours or so.  You may wish to try cold compresses to your lips to help minimize additional swelling and try sleeping with an extra pillow or two behind your head to further assist with swelling resolution.  If you would like to try supplements, arnica montana and bromelain may also be of help. 

Lip injections with #Juvederm

Hi Highwaymort,Thank you for your excellent question about what to expect from your Juvederm treatment today. First off remember that often times after treating lips significant swelling can occur. In our clinic we provide our patients with a pre-treatment plan of what to expect so they are prepared for the swelling.  We mention to avoid exercise for at least 24 hrs. as this can excasperate swelling which is why you may have the pulling sensation.  Without an in-person exam it's impossible to say for sure.

I hope this has been helpful. For your plastic surgery and injectable needs consider meeting with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and a member of the ASPS and ASAPS. Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Lip fillers

Lip fillers can cause a lot of swelling and can take about a week to settle down. Best to be patient with the result.

Final Result After Lip Augmentation With Juvederm

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Sorry that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  Please keep in mind that it will take 2 weeks to see your final result.  Swelling and bruising after filler injection is normal, especially in the lips.  Icing can help for up to 48 hours postprocedure.  Arnica can also help to minimize postprocedure swelling and bruising.  My best advice would be to give it a full 2 weeks to allow for normal postprocedure swelling and bruising to resolve and to see your final result.  At that point, if you continue to have any concerns, please contact your injector for an in-person reevaluation in order to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!