L5S1 Ruptured Resulting in Lumber Discectomy. I Have Diastasis Recti and Am Thin. How Do I Strengthen my Core to Recover?

I realize a tummy tuck to repair the diastasis recti is not deemed necessary by insurance - nor do I want to go through the surgery. I am however terrified of how to strengthen my core with the front weak and the back still a concern and somehow remain active for the next 40 years.

Paraspinal Muscle and Abdominal Muscle Strengthening

Paraspinal muscle and abdominal muscle strengthening can help stabilize the spinal column, but this should be done carefully given your spinal surgery.  You will need expert advice from your orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon about the next steps in your recovery.

Physical Therapy for back injury.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Sounds like you need to be seen by a physical therapist to assess the extent of you back injury and recommendation of exercises.  Your spine surgeon should be able to give you recommendations based on what your x-rays/ MRI look like.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

How Do I Strengthen my Core to Recover

Ask your primary physician to recommend a physical therapy consultation to get an evaluation and plan for the exercise program you seek. Best wishes.