Obvious rightside jawline masseter movement. Obvious asymmetry when I chew; what is happening?

I had botox 2 days ago on the masseter jawline. I think by the 2nd day i should not feel any masseter movement anymore but this doesnt seem to be the case. On the right side of my masseter when i chew bite i could see my biting muscle moving very obviously compared to even before i had botox. The left side of my face muscle did shrunk but still i could feel minor muscle movement when i bite.The right face looks different and could see obvious asymmetry on my face when i chew. What is happening?

Botox takes longer than two days to see results

Thank you for your question Pon Pon. Botox can be used in the masseter muscle in the cheeks to slim the lower face. Botox take three to seven days to kick in and sometimes up to two weeks for full results. It is important to be patient. I recommend following up with your doctor at the two week point. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox takes 14 days to work

Botox takes 14 days for the full effects to kick in.  Be patient and all will settle as it should.  If after two weeks you still have concerns with asymmetry see your provider. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Jaw Asymmetry After Botox

Botox onset may begin around day 3 with full onset after 10 days. You should wait at least 10 days to see how it works before worrying. You may need to add more units. Discuss this with your doctor when you go in for your follow-up.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Botox to the masseters

Thanks for your question. Botox to the masseters is a common treatment to treat TMJ from jaw clenching. It can also be used to create a slimmer jaw line in people with large masseter muscles. Botox usually starts to have an effect in 3-5 days and has its full activity at 2 weeks. If you only had the treatment two days ago, you can't expect to have the full effect yet. You can expect some asymmetry between the sides as the botox begins to act. Give it a little time.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox results after masseter injection

It can take up to 14 days to see the full results of the Botox injection. I suspect at 2 days after your injection, it is still too soon for you to see the complete result. I would judge your results once the Botox has completely kicked in. 

Botox for masseters

Botox takes up to 10 days for full effect. I would wait the full time to decide if there is an issue. At that time, if there is asymmetry, go back to your injector. It shouldn't completely eradicate the movement of the muscle because it is necessary for chewing, it should just weaken the muscle.

Steven F. Weiner, MD