Should I inject Botox for masseter? (Photo)

Hello doctor, I want to slim down my face, what treatment should I do? Can inject for botox? How many unit for each side that I need for the best result? Thank you.

Botox for masseter reduction

Botox for masseter reduction can be a very safe and predictable way to create slimming and tapering of the jawline.  When performed by a surgeon experienced in the treatment, it will create a slimming effect in 4-6 weeks which will continue for 3-4 months.  Maximal results will be achieved with serial treatments after 4-6 months.

Botox for Masseter

Thank you for your question Sharon. Botox is commonly used to treat wrinkles on the face. But it can be used to shape the face by slimming the lower face and creating more of a heart shaped face. The masseter is one of the muscles we use to bite and is located in the lower face. People with large masseters sometimes have a square appearance to the lower face. Botox injections of 20-40 units per side can be used to address this. Most people enjoy their results for three to four months. Another treatment to complement this desired appearance is Voluma on the cheeks. This will restore the youthful apple of the cheek and enhance the heart shaped facial structure even further. I recommend consulting with a doctor for specific advice. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Should I inject Botox for masseter?

This is a reasonable treatment option to help create the illusion of elongation.
Kenneth Hughes, MD............

Botox for facial contouring

Using Botox in the masseter muscle helps to shrink the muscle thus slimming the lower part of your face.Depending on how strong the muscles are we use anywhere from 20-30 units per side.  This slimming effect can last 3-4 months and then repeated again.  Over time you will need less units and can increase time between treatments to maintain the shape.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox will help slim lower face

Botox/Dysport/Xeomin can all help you change the shape of your jawline. I use equivalent of about 15 units of Botox per side when I start. This is also a wonderful treatment for those that grind teeth. Grinding improves within weeks but it will take a few months to start to see change in shape of face. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox for masseters

Hi Sharon,It looks like you are a good candidate for Botox to slim down your face. We usually do 30 units per side. I would  also recommend some filler in your chin. Once you have a stronger chin, your face will appear slimmer. The filler I would recommend is Voluma and it's indicated to last 2 years. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Slimming the face with Botox

It does appear that you would benefit from Botox injections to your masseter muscle. Your face is more squared off and the Botox will help downsize the masseter muscle creating a slimmer, more oval facial appearance. I typically start with 20-25 units of Botox per side. You should expect more frequent treatments initially then longer duration of the Botox over time. You should notice a more oval facial appearance around 6 months if treatments are consistent. Please consult a board certified physician experienced in masseter botox injections. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Masseter Injections

Thanks for your question!
Botox injections to the masseter muscles are a great way to slim the bottom part of your face!  I recommend at least 20-30 units per side at each treatment.  I tell patients to expect to see a slimmer contour over a period of 6-12 months with consistent treatments.  
Best of luck to you!

Good candidate for Botox injection to masseters

Although photos are somewhat limited and do not replace an in-person consultation with an experienced injector, your lower face does appear full on the photographs and this maybe related to masseter bulk. I would probably start with 15-20 units into each masseter and you can expect to see results at 6 weeks. 

Masseter Muscle Reduction with Botox

From your photographs, it does appear you have some fullness in the lower face.  A good way to examine yourself for masseter hypertrophy is to bite down on your molars and see if you get some bulging or increased fullness near the back of the mandible.  Typically, if you can feel a significant bulge, you would benefit from botox injection.

A good starting dose is about 20 units.  I find most patients require somewhere in the range of 20 to 30 units on each side to see a significant change. 

Edwin Kwon, MD
Los Angeles Physician