The shape of my Vagina is so ugly am looking for an operation and I'd like to know more before doing anything. (Photos)

I feel shame to have sex

Nothing is ugly with your vulva

but if the excess labia minora bother you, labiaplasty can help with diminishing the bulk and hopefully, produce the look that you seek.  Make sure your surgeon is experienced and can offer you different techniques from which you can choose and that there is a written revision policy in case you don't get the results you were expecting.  Best wishes

Are you a candidate for a labiplasty?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Candidate for Vaginal Surgery

Candidates of Vaginal Rejuvenation or Vaginoplasty surgery are women who desire a more youthful appearance and function of the vulva and vaginal area.  For some women, the effects of childbirth, aging, trauma, and/or genetics, causes their vaginal tissue and muscles to become stretched, which results in loss of strength and tone in the vaginal area.  This may result in decreased intimacy and sexual satisfaction. In some cases, the laxity of tissues can be visible. 

The lining of the vagina can be reduced, removing excess and redundant mucosa decreasing the diameter of the canal. The muscle ring, pubococcygeus, at the entrance or introitus can be tightened.  These procedures along with exercises such as Kegles can help keep the muscle tone in this area.  Aesthetic Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction, while also creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area.

Labiaplasty

Your vagina is fine but you would be a good candidate for a labia minora reduction.  I believe this is what you are referring to.  Be sure to choose a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in Labiaplasty procedure

Vaginal Shape and options

This is a good question and it is important to learn as much as you can about this before having an operation.  First off, there is a large variation in the normal anatomy for this area.  You (and almost everyone else we see), are well within this normal range of size and appearance of the labia.  However, if you wish to have the area altered for your own preference, that is an option.  But don't undergo a procedure until you have though a lot about it and are comfortable with your own reasons for doing so.  Issues with shame regarding sex should be sorted through before choosing to have surgery, as this procedure by itself will not be able to help with those feelings.  

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Decisions for labiaplasty

Although most generous labia are normal, that doesn't mean we need to accept the appearance.  Usually cosmetic gynecologic surgery can approximate your desired effect very well.  The first step is to decide if it is worthwhile to seek revision surgery, and then to choose a surgeon who can perform what you wish.  If your desire to change the labia outweighs the potential risks and recovery from labiaplasty, it may be worthwhile for you.  You have a few decisions ahead.

Expectations vary...

Your labia appear normal but obviously you do not like their appearance. Your consultation should be to define what changes you want and to focus on a safe operation. You want to be sure that what you want will not be a problem for you in the long run. You don't want it "all off!" Seek consultation with experienced surgeons who have their Before and After images available for review. A discussion of your desires and how practical they are should follow. Look at their images to see that what you want is in their experience and does well over time. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Your vagina looks normal. You need a consultation to determine exactly what you want.

Almost all women who seek cosmetic gynecology procedures to change the appearance of the vagina have a normal appearing vagina. For this reason, you need to specify exactly what you want or don't want your vagina to look like. From there, I can tell you whether your request is realistic or not and what your options would be.

I don't like the shape of my vagina. What should I do?

Based upon your photos you have enlargement of your labia minora.  You look perfectly normal and should not feel shame or unwillingness to be sexually active.  A sexual partner who judges against you or makes you feel bad about yourself is not someone you should be involved with.  That's the simple truth.  A woman's beauty has everything to do with the sacrifices of motherhood, giving of herself to create new life.  You don't need the appearance of your genitals to be a certain way to attract a man.

That said, many women don't like it when their labia minora protrude past their outer lips - the labia majora.  A labiaplasty will accomplish your goal of improving your appearance.  Don't just let anyone do this surgery.  See someone who specializes in this procedure.  Based upon your photos your anatomical appearance looks fairly simple to address.  But have it done right the first time by a specialist.  I don't know surgeons who operate in your country.  But it would be far better to leave your body the way it is than have an operation done by an inexperienced surgeon.  This is very specialized and demands close attention to get it right.   

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are  enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD