Can I have buttock implants if I had a pilonidal cyst that has not been active since early childhood?

I had a pilonidal cyst as a child. It used to be swollen and I manually extracted long hair from when I was 11-12 years old and that was it! I ignored it till I'm 35 yrs old and until now I never experienced any discomfort. Now I want to undergo buttock aug. (implants) is this ok considering the pilonidal cyst? 2 years ago I had a Brazilian lift (fat transfer) with no complications at all. The transferred fat is gone. I want implants as a permanent solution to round my butt. Advise me plz.

Buttock implant expectations

As long as your cyst has not
been active and presumably gone for nearly 25 years, buttock implants may indeed be a reasonable option. 
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are very good options so what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection.
Indeed because at least 50+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Although using your own fat is relatively safe, the one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like PMMA and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high tendency to migrate away from the original area they were placed and tend to stimulate a lot of inflammation and a subsequent disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 2 inch long incision over the tailbone (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. Therefore it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure (in fact both implants and fat transfer so that s/he is not bias). And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to ~5%. Glad to help.
Depending upon the amount of your current fat reserves and their distribution, you may or may not be a reasonable candidate for fat transfer. If you are wanting to utilize the fat to further augment your buttock in addition to implants, then I caution you against this. The reason being that the fat needs to be placed into the buttock muscles for optimal survival, however, this is exactly where the implant needs to reside and thus risks infection and/or death of the fat. Because of this risk, I frequently avoid fat grafting into a buttock that has an implant. Bottom line, I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon specialist in buttock augmentation (BOTH implants and fat transfer) to determine what option is best for you. Glad to help.

Butt implants and history of pilonidal cyst

Dear Tamara,
  Your story about the fat injection to the butts that was gone, is very common and I have seen it on many patients who came to my surgery center for butt implants after their disappointment from the fat injection to the butts by other surgeons. Rest assured, that the butt implants will not disappear. As far as your Pilonidal cyst, as long as the area is healthy looking without signs of infection or inflamation, you can proceed with surgery. Always consult with board certified plastic surgeons who perform lots of butt implants surgery in an accredited surgery center for you safety. Check their before and after pictures to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and you like them. There are different techniques and the implants come in different shapes and softness , so, do you due diligence. Check also the reviews for positive patients experience.
                               Dr Widder

That is a very good question.  Given your description, the added risk is probably small. 

Buttocks Implants?

Thank you for your question! It is hard to tell without a physical examination of your body.  Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation! Discuss your concerns and goals.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified  Plastic Surgeon  Chicago  Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  It is likely ok to have further buttock work but I would not recommend any additional procedures in the setting of an active infection such as a pilonidal cyst.  An evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon can help you to understand what your options are.  Best wishes and be safe. 

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS