I'm 5 days post hair transplant. What will happen next? Will my follicles fall out? (Photo)

How much time it will take to grow my hair

If you have a post operative concern or questions, it is best to contact your doctor.

If you have a post operative concern or questions, it is best to contact your doctor.  In general you should follow your doctor's instructions and clean your scalp.  Transplants hairs will fall out and it may take 6 to 12 months to see results

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

I'm 5 days post hair transplant. What will happen next? Will my follicles fall out?

Your grafts will more than likely shed within 4 to 5 weeks. And you need to help facilitate this shedding by following your post op care and after 2 weeks, you should scrub your scalp in a normal fashion. For now, enjoy the preview of what it will look like (1 year) after the scabs have all fallen off. In month 3 you should start to see sprigs or buds of hair. Then around 6-8 months i should be noticeably longer and thicker. And between 8-12 months you should have most of them grown out.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

5 days following transplant

at 5 days, you can exp[ect that the grafts will shed over the next few weeks and you may look just like you did before it was done. Don't worry, because it will grow in 5-6 months

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for your posting your question. You will probably notice in the next few days, some shedding. This is normal part of the recovery. (This is mostly seen around day 8 to day 10). Results will take 3 to 4 months, and your 6 month mark will yield you, roughly around 50% growth, and full results can take up to 12 to 14 months. Hope this helps. 

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant Follicles

Hi There, The follicles themselves will not fall out, however, the individual hairs likely will. Typically it takes 3-6 months for the hair to begin growing in the follicle. Using medications like Propecia and Rogaine may stimulate the growth. Hope this helps!Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician