What is wrong, and how can I treat this? (Photo)

For as long as I can remember I have had these creases that run across my cheekbones. The past year they have gotten more defined, and they are really starting to bother me. What is wrong, and how should I treat it? THANKS!! (:

Doctor Answers 4

Softening Cheekbone Creases (Malar Creases)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This question is a common concern that I often see in my cosmetic practice. Your face has a beautiful shape and you have beautiful deep set eyes that should be the focus of you face. The deep lines running across your cheeks are known as malar creases. They are caused by the descent and separation of your cheek fat. For some surgery can correct this problem. However, fillers too can address the deep crease, larger molecule deep filler can be used for the crease such as Radiesse or Perlane, with softer and smaller molecule hyaluronic acid placed under the skin to achieve a smoother effect. By rounding the front of the cheek, we can achieve a natural shaping and offer cheek volume and structure to the overall effect of the face.  These treatments need to be repeated every 12-18 months The skin can be repaired by doing a 3-4 Fraxel treatments, and /or 3-4 Venus Viva, tighten and stimulate collagen beneath the skin.  These treatments, would be enhanced with Selphyl, "platelet-rich fibrin matrix" (PRFM) method, to naturally fill out the crevices and wrinkles.

Vancouver Physician

Dermal Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The crease that runs through across your cheekbones are due to a ligament that separated those regions in your face. It is worsened with overall mid face volume loss especially as we age or simply losing weight as well. This can be treated with dermal fillers such as Voluma or Radiesse. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 112 reviews

Malar creases and treatment.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Over 35 years I've seen several patients who have these at an early age. Very often many older patients get these. I've used fillers such as Juvéderm to correct this or Belotero  with good results.  

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Cheek Bone Creases

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
This is common and genetic.  It can be improved with fillers and laser or radiofrequency treatments like Fraxel or Viva. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist if this bothers you.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.