What is wrong with my saline implants? Bottomed out? Rippling? Double bubble? Slow leak? (Photo)

I had my BA in 2011. I went up to a D cup. I now am only a b/c cup and my breasts are 2 different sizes now. Also, my breasts look FLATTENED right underneath my nipples. It is hard to capture in a photo, but it's a dimple/indention or crease type thing going on here. Also from the side it looks flat under my breasts too. What is going on? Any ideas what this is? Would it be coveted by the basic Mentor saline insurance bought for my implants? I have a 10 year warranty. THANKS FOR ALL HELP!

Double bubble

Thank you for your question.  It appears that you have a double bubble as a result of the pocket design for your implants.  Please see your operating surgeon to discuss a possible revision.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Bottoming out

It looks like you have some bottoming out with disruption of your breast crease. You have lots of options to correct this. You can discuss the issue with the surgeon who did your initial surgery or seek out a new surgeon. If implants are intact and soft then there is likely no reason for the implant to cover the repair.  Likely you will need a procedure to reset your fold or change the position of the implant. Good luck. 

Gaurav Bharti, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

BreastImplant Results

From your photo, you have some degree of bottoming out that has resulted in a double bubble. This unfortunately needs to be surgically corrected by tightening the capsule to restore the breast crease. As for rippling, that is the result of choosing saline implants. To achieve a better outcome going forward, have your implants changed to silicone. Different sizes need to be compared to older photos to give you an answer. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through an in-person consultation.

Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast implants

Hi greenebean, Thanks for your question on your breast implants.  Since you're implants are 11 years old I would definitely urge you to set up an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Without seeing you in person it's impossible to say for sure, however there is a chance that what's going on could either be a case of bottoming out or implant leakage.  There are other possibilities as well and your board certified surgeon can help be your guide. Best to you.  -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

What is wrong with my saline implants? Bottomed out? Rippling? Double bubble? Slow leak?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It looks as if your right breast implant has bottomed out, causing a double bubble deformity, with the implant lower than your natural breast tissue. This has caused that indentation underneath your nipple, while causing you to "fill" a bra differently, causing the change in size.  I would recommend you visit your original surgeon to have a physical exam performed, so that they can better diagnose you.  Rippling is more common along the sides and top of the breast, than the lower portion, while even the slowest leak would eventually cause you to have the same size breast as you had before your augmentation.  

Example of bottoming out of breast implants.

If you jawline horizontally through the breast at the level of the nipple roughly 40% of the volume should be above and 60% below in an anatomically correct breast. In your particular case there's much too much volume below this imaginary line. It's an example of bottoming out. If your implants are below the muscle consider moving into sub glandular.