I'm in pain, is this normal?

I'm 17 days post op from sub muscle 480cc implants. I also had lipo on my arm pits. My pec muscles and breasts are still very sore to the touch and during the massaging. Even when I don't touch them there's a dull pain there. One breast is still swollen so I've been trying to ice it. Should I be concerned? Everything I read online says I shouldn't have pain after the first week or two, and I'm on week three.

Pain after implants

No, you can still have discomfort after surgery at this point.  If concerned, you are best to be seen in person.  Good luck.

Breast augmentation

I would recommend that you contact your surgeon and have him/her exam the area just to rule out any complications but you are still early on in your recovery and you also had liposuction performed which could be prolonging the pain. Throughout your recovery period you may experience different sensations such as tingling, burning or intermittent shooting pain.  These are normal experiences as the skin, muscles and tissue stretch to accommodate your implants, and as sensory nerves heal. Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

Its early to talk about results. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I'm in pain, is this normal?

Hello sarahlm1983,

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry to hear you are still in pain.  It is not "normal" to be this sore 17 days after breast augmentation; however, you also underwent liposuction of your axillae (underarms).  I suspect this is why you are sore to this day.  Please visit your plastic surgeon this week to confirm my suspision.

Hunter Moyer, MD

Within the realm of normal

It is normal  You can use massage, ice, non-steroidal meds that do not cause bleeding (Mobic, Celebrex), non-sedating muscle relaxers, and vitamins such as Arnica can all help.  

I'm in pain, is this normal?

Everyone responds to surgery in a different way and pain may last beyond 1-2 weeks. Discuss options with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

I'm in pain, is this normal?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your continued soreness.  Without photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice but it is not uncommon to have continued soreness and swelling 17 days after a breast augmentation and I would address your questions with your surgeon as they know the full details of your starting point and current appearance.  Best wishes.