Is this normal separation? (Photo)

When I lay down it's like the implants come out of the pockets. Is this normal? I thought they would more so stay mounted in one spot.

Breast implants should fall a little to the side when you lay down

Breast implants should move.  Breast implants are nicest when they result in a breast that is not only fuller but one that moves like a natural breast.  A breast that this so firm that it is stuck on the chest is not ideal.  Therefore, a little movement to the side is totally appropriate after a breast augmentation.  

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

Your implants look pretty normal.  There is always some lateralization of implants when you lie down.

Separation

Your implants look normal. They will I've a bit to the sides as you lay down, that is a natural occurrence. Implants are not designed to stay in one place that wouldn't look or feel natural 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lateral displacement of breast implants

I think based on your photos, this is within normal limits, but your implants may be able to be pushed closer together with a simple surgery. It depends a lot of the timing of your implants. If you are looking like this within the first month after surgery, you may want to have it revised as it could get worse over time. However, if it has been years since your breast augmentation, this is within the natural course of how breast implants fall with gravity and age. Either way, it can be surgically revised to close off the lateral pocket, keeping implants centered on the chest 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Is this normal separation?

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you may have minimal lateral displacement, which is not uncommon after breast augmentation. Please talk to your PS for evaluation.

Is this normal separation?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Based on the images of you laying down it does not appear that your implants are falling too far towards your sides - indicating implant malposition/displacement.  An in-person examination would allow for more accurate diagnosis, so see your surgeon to voice your concerns. 

Is this normal breast implant separation?

Thank you for your question.  You have large breast implants and often it is necessary to make a large pocket to accommodate the large size.  It does appear that the implants fall to the side which is called lateral displacement..  This can be revised surgically if you are terribly unhappy with this phenomena.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an examination.

Is this normal separation (lateral displacement)?

Thank you for the question and pictures.  In your case, I think that your breast implants separate "normally" when you are lying down;   in other words, this type of separation is to be expected.  Generally speaking, breast implants do not remain "mounted" when patients are lying down.

Generally speaking, although some “falling to these sides” of breast implants is quite normal when patients lie down, if this occurs “excessively”, it may be a concern to patients.  This phenomenon is called lateral displacement of the breast implant;  it may be of concern from the visual and the discomfort standpoints. Surgical correction is an option.

Generally, the lateral breast implant displacement can be corrected using an internal suture technique, decreasing the size of the pockets and moving the implants toward the midline.    In my practice, I use a 2  layered suture technique to close off the space laterally (towards the axilla). The use of acellular dermal matrix is an option ( although not usually necessary)  especially if significant implant rippling/palpability is present.  Also, the use of a larger/wider breast implant may help improve/decrease the space between the breast implants.  Based on your photographs, I think that your concern is areola size; areola reduction surgery may be necessary to achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns), helps.  Best wishes.