I do not have weight to lose, but I nearly have a double chin. What can I do to fix this? (Photo)

Hi! I am 25 and have hated my side profile for my entire life. I am a size 2 and in great shape, however my neck is basically a straight line with my chin. There is no definition whatsoever, and if I look down, I easily get a double chin. There is no definition. What can I do to fix this?

Double Chin Treatment

You are a great candidate for Smartlipo of the chin. Smartlipo will remove fat, tighten the skin and contour the chin and jawline. It is a simple procedure, usually performed with numbing medicine (local anesthesia) only. You can walk in and walk out. The downtime is minimal. I would give yourself a few days to recover and expect minimal bruising and swelling. I would suggest scheduling a consultation appointment with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options. Good luck.

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, KybellaI treat this everyday in my practice. You may be a surgical candidate but you do not need surgery for improvement. Properly performed liposuction with energy based devices and physical fat removal will do fantastic to remove the fat, lift the skin, and contour the jawline. I pretreat everyone with Botox 1-2 weeks before surgery to relax the neck muscles, allowing for better retraction of the skin after surgery. Then after treatment we do skin tightening with Venus Legacy to improve the results and decrease the neck swelling. I suggest you only see an expert for treatment of this area as a meticulous surgeon is required to get great results and complications in this area can be devastating both medically and cosmetically. A new medication that is used to remove chin fat with injections called Kybella may also be an option, as it secondarily allows for skin tightening/lifting as well. A formal consultation is needed to determine what are the best options for you. Best, Dr. Emer. 

double chin

Dear vevdaniel, thank you for submitting your question, your sub mental fullness is mild. If you desire mroe defination that area then ypur a good candiate for liposcution. Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck. 

Injections with Kybella is a non-invasive alternative to liposuction

Kybella is a new, FDA-approved injectable treatment for submental fullness, commonly referred to as a "double chin". When injected, it permanently destroys fat cells in the area treated. On average, patients will need 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart to achieve desired results. It is a nice alternative for patients who want improvement in their chin and neck profile but do not want to undergo liposuction.

Young patient without skin laxity (loose, sagging skin) and only mild to moderate submental fullness are the ideal candidates for Kybella injections. Although it is difficult to definitively determine what treatment is best without evaluating you in person, based on your photos it appears that you would be a good candidate for Kybella.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

I do not have weight to lose, but I nearly have a double chin. What can I do to fix this?

Chin Cheek and jowl liposuction performed under local by an experienced dermatologist could give you the subtle but pleasing results you desire to enhance the profile as well as the overall shape of the face.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Neck liposuction

Thanks for sharing. Submental (under the chin) liposuction and laser lipolysis would be an appropriate procedure for you. This procedure can also be performed under local anesthesia to reduce costs.  Please consult with an experienced board certified surgeon

Raymond E. Lee, MD

neck lift/ liposuction for improvement of the jawline

In our practice, a neck lift involves removal of the fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle along with a platysma plasty. The platysma plasty muscle tightening does help significantly with the jawline improvement after the fat deposits have been removed. No skin removal is needed. For many examples, please see the link and the video below

Double Chin

You appear to have good bone structure of your jawline. Losing some weight may also help. Your other options would be submental liposuction or Kybella injection.  These are both reasonalbe options, but you need to be evaluated. Please consult a qualified and experienced facial plastic surgeon.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double chin

Many patients who complain of having a double chin have an insufficient mandible or jaw projection. Your bony structure appears ideal, and that is not the reason your neck looks the way it does. You may have some excess fat in this area, but based on your low BMI, my guess is your neck contour has more to do with your muscle anatomy. 

If you have a substantial layer of fat, then liposuction will give a nice improvement. If you do not have a substantial layer of fat when you pinch the skin, then liposuction will have limited results.

There are some other procedures that can enhance the neck, such as a platysmaplasty. The most important thing is to make a proper assessment. Once the etiology is understood, then an appropriate treatment plan can be instituted. I suggest having an in-person consultation with an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon who can offer all options and give you an educated understanding. 

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Submental Liposuction

You seem like the perfect candidate for submental (chin) liposuction. You are young and would benefit greatly with this procedure. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD