I are graves eye disease (not in active phase). Is it okay to get botox injections between brow?

I also have Graves disease and had thyroid removed in 2009,eyelid retraction in 2010,and lower lid blasphemy in 2013. I was once told by an eye doctor to NEVER have botox injections because it could cause my graves eye disease to become active again or flare up. I have searched online to find info to back this up but cannot find anything. I am developing bad wrinkles/lines between my brow and always seem to be tense in this area.

Botox with Graves' disease

Absolutely safe!!!! Many patients with graves have worse glabellar lines (frown lines) then others and there is no risk of causing a flare up of thyroid eye disease. Botox will make you feel so much better.  Best of luck.

Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox is fine with Graves disease

There is no interaction with Graves disease. Please proceed with Botox injections. It won't cause a flair up.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Graves and Botox should be safe

I personally do not know that there is any danger in getting Botox just because you have a history of Graves. My wife has Graves disease, and she has been getting Botox for years without complication.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Thyroid Disease

Botox is a great and effective procedure and the number one most popular cosmetic procedure being done nation wide.  There is no reason that I know of why you would not be able to do Botox with graves.  I would double check with your treating endocrinologist to confirm.  Best, Dr. Green

Botox and Graves Disease

Thank you for your question.There are no contraindications to you receiving Botox in your glabellar region
Best wishes..

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox safe to use even if Graves

Botox will not reactive Graves disease, so it is safe to use.  Botox is a localized treatment that stays in the injected muscle.  

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and Graves Disease

I am not aware of any studies that show that it is contraindicted in Graves Disease.

Dr. Karamanoukian

Botox

I do not know of any studies that show Botox will cause Graves to become worse. I think it would be fine to use Botox between your eyebrows. At this point perhaps it is time to find another opinion in your area.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is.

Botox is typically injected between the eyebrows to decrease the frowning activity. It may also allow some elevation of the inner part of the eyebrows. It is definitely not an issue in people with Grave's disease. The real contraindication is in patients who have myasthenia gravis (disease causing weakness of the muscles).

Normand Miller, MD
New Hampshire Vascular Surgeon

Graves disease and Botox.

Thank you for your question. There is no contraindication with Grave's disease and Botox. Enjoy!

Take care, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD