Botox injected between my brows about 3 months ago. My bruise healed but I am still swollen. Any idea why or when I will heal?

Any idea why or when I will heal? I was injected by a very experienced PA that currently trains for Allergan and Botox. To provide further information I was about 1 month post pardum. And I have been having injections for about 5 years prior.

Swelling from Botox

After so much time it is not clear why you would still have so much swelling.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Swelling 3 months after an injection

Typically, swelling from a Botox injection will be gone in 1-2 weeks, even with bruising at the site of injection. At 3 months, temporary swelling should be long gone as the Botox itself starts to fade.

A hematoma is a pocket of bruising, that can form scar tissue. It's rare because Botox is injected with such a tiny needle (30 gauge). I would recommend seeing a trained professional who can examine you and confirm what happened. I would start with conservative treatments: warm compresses and deep massage to soften the area. I would stay away from steroid injections in that area.

Even with the most commonly performed office procedure, safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello AngieBog,

Botox would not leave residual swelling 3 months after treatment.  You can have a temporary bruise, which you did, but this would also not leave the area swollen.  Since this is not an expected result from Botox, I'd recommend you follow up with your injector for an in person evaluation. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swollen 3 months after Botox

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your Botox issues.  I would recommend seeing your injector for an in-person examination to determine the cause of your swelling.  Most of Botox's effects, including any bruising or swelling should have resolved within three months.

Botox at three months

You should not be swollen from botox at three months after injection. If concerned, best to see your injector.

Botox and Bruising

I suggest seeing your physician if you are concerned.  Botox shouldn't leave long term bruising.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lump after Botox

since you had a bruise in the area it may have been that a blood vessel was inadvertently hit and this is a remaining hematoma but you could also have developed a cyst. it is not anything serious but check with your dermatologist or plastic surgeon to get it checked and treated

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Bruise and Botox

There is a small possibility that your bruise was actually an underlying collection of blood called a hematoma. This collection causes swelling and fibrosis under the skin and can take several months to settle out.  These are not common with Botox injections, but are certainly a risk in all patients undergoing facial injections.  Massage the area several times a day with deep pressure.  This can assist in decreasing the fullness faster.

Jesse E. Smith, MD, FACS
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox - still swollen at site of injection

Thank you for asking about your Botox.

• I am sorry this happened -
  • With all due respect to experienced PAs, they can be very good but lack the knowledge of a physicians.
  • You need a specialist physician to examine you to get a reliable answer.
  • You may have been left with scar tissue from bleeding.
  • I assume you are not breast feeding - Botox is not recommended during breast feeding.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Botox

Swelling that lasts three months after Botox injection is certainly very unusual.  It is hard to say with certainty that this is even related to you Botox injection.  The best course forward would be to seek a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and see if anything can be done about the swelling.  Also you may want to have future injections performed by one of these types of practioners rather than a PA for optimal results.

M. David Cole, MD, FAAD

Newport Beach Dermatologist