I'm 19 years old, and I already had my surgery date set up in two months?

I'm very concerned about getting ripples or firmness from saline implants. Also, I'm still not exactly sure what size I need. I'm a small B right now, and I want them to look as natural as possible. Should I get high profile or low profile? I'm so confused on the difference between the two too.

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  It is understandable to have anxiety going into any surgical procedure but I think much of yours can be improved upon with further discussion with your surgeon.  Your surgeon is responsible not only for performing your augmentation but also in appropriately discussing with you the pros and cons of implant types, sizes, and profiles while discussing your desired goal results in order to select the best implants.  Once done you should feel greater confidence in following through with surgery.  Hope this helps.

Implant selection

In order to determine what is best for you then you need to be seen in person to be properly evaluated and sized for implants.

Big decision for 19 yo woman regarding saline implants: size, firmness, rippling, style...what to do??

Hi there Haparker!

Thanks for the question.  It is a lot to think about but the good news is that there are plenty of ways to get answers.  The first thing to consider is returning to the surgeon with whom you met and ask these specific questions.  If that fails, it sounds like getting a consultation with another surgeon would be a good idea.

Here is what I like to accomplish at a breast augmentation consultation:

Understand YOUR goals..."I want to look as natural as possible."  And," I'm very concerned about getting ripples or firmness" 

Determine if breast augmention will meet your goals

Record your height, weight, current cup size, immediate plans to have children or breast feed, history of pregnancies/breast feeding, measurements of chest wall and any history of breast cancer in your family?

Review the differences between implant placement above or below the muscle and which position is best for you and your goals

Review the differences between saline and gel implants.  You are not a candidate for gel as the guidelines indicate that you must be at least 22 years old.  But, if that is a make it or break it issue for you, you may want to wait until you are 22 years old.  Firmness and rippling of saline implants can be managed effectively by adjustments to the saline volume added to the implant and the placement of the implant below the muscle.  Pretty much all implants will show some rippling over time. 

Perform a breast exam.

Try  on  "breast implant sizers" of different style/profiles and sizes of implants  "I'm still not exactly sure what size I need." And you mentioned  "Should I get high profile or low profile?"  Seeing how various sizes and profiles look on your figure will really help you understand the differences between them.

Review the risks/complications of surgery; the recovery, return to activity, location of the hospital, what to expect the day of surgery, your follow up appointment schedule.

Provide you with a quote and information on financing.

Your consultation should include the above information and access to the surgeon for any additional information that you may need.  And you should not leave thinking:" I'm so confused on the difference between the two too." 

Thank you!

In good health,

Ellen Mahony, MD

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

The bigger/higher projecting the implant, the more fake it looks

The right implant depends on the person -- without a pic, it's hard to advise.  However, if I assume that you have a nicely shaped B cup but just want to be a bit larger, then a low profile implant that fits your chest should give you at least a cup size increase.  As long as the implant is placed under the muscle and you have some breast tissue on the lower outside part of your breast, ripples shouldn't be a big issue. You can use a silicone implant, it's just not "FDA approved."  I hope that helps.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

I already have my surgery date set.

The date is the easy part, but you have so many concerns and questions you might want to take a step back and make sure you understand options and how well you will reach your goals. Saline implants if properly place are not firm at all, and can be very natural in a submuscular pocket with a moderate profile. Natural can mean so many different things, and it is best to share a photo of what your natural is meant to be to avoid a surprise or disappointment.

Upcoming breast augmentation

Thanks for your question. It's perfectly normal to feel anxious and to have questions before your surgery. It seems like you need to have another consultation with your PS to review those questions. He will explain to you the placement of the implants, the risks of developing a capsular contracture or ripples,and what style of implant is best for you. Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Save Selecting a breast implant size and shape

Report

What's wrong with this answer?

Self-promotional
Conflict of interest
Insufficient information
Duplicate content
Unfriendly attitude Submit Cancel Thanks for your feedback

RealSelf will review this answer to make sure it meets our terms of service.

Learn More You have already reported this answer.

What's wrong with this answer?

Self-promotional
Conflict of interest
Insufficient information
Duplicate content
Unfriendly attitude
Submit Cancel Thanks for your feedback

The interpretation of "natural looking" varies greatly from patient to patient and from surgeon to surgeon.  

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the… SHOW MORE

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C and a 36 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. There is also no direct correlation between an implant size or shape and resultant cup size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Selecting a breast implant size

Thank you for your post.  Without photos and breast measurements, it's hard to give you advice as to which style of implant to get.  The implant must properly fit your chest so discuss your desires in detail with your PS.  Though HP implants have less chance of rippling, they may not necessarily be your best bet (they may look like torpedoes on you).  Also, HP implants have a higher chance of "bottoming out" over time.  Be sure to weigh all the pros and cons before deciding on a final size.  Best wishes!

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.