I have knees and thighs that are too fat for my small frame. Would coolsculpting work for me? (photo)

I'm not over weight, but my fat distribution is out of proportion. And I have fat that can be physically gripped on my inner lower thighs( just above the knees) and upper inner thighs. I tried weight loss but I ended up with only skin and bones on my shoulders and arms as I have very little fat in those areas compared to my legs. I have posted some photos. I apologize for the unsightly view of my legs :|. Thank you.

Coolsculpting for knees and thighs

Looking at your photos, I think that you would be a good candidate for coolsculpting of the inner and outer thighs. Treatment in these areas is off-label, but we have seen good results. The main question would be on whether the applicator would fit these areas and for that reason the best thing for you to do is to schedule a consultation with a coolsculpting provider in your area to see if this treatment is right for you.

Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting of knees and thighs

CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool. CoolSculpting now has an applicator for thighs.  CoolSculpting had been used in this area with good results. See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting at Legs

CoolSculpting has applicators that can work for various areas of the legs, but not usually near the knees. It is best to be evaluated in person to determine if you are a candidate for the treatment and what applicators can be used to best address your concerns.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Coolsculpting for knees and Thighs

The FDA has approved coolsculpting for thighs, and the procedure produces excellent result. FDA has not approved coolsculpting to be used on the fat above the knee. To understand your options, consult with a board certified physician who can provide both surgical options and coolsculpting.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting for Knees and Thighs

Coolsculpting is a great technique for reducing fat bulges in a given area.  The treatment is not invasive and generally takes an hour.  There are two new great adaptors for the inner and outer thighs.  Cool fit is for the inner thigh and cool smooth is for the outer thighs.  In addition, Thermage can tighten the skin around the knees and thighs as well for even more skin tightening.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist who has these two new adaptors.

Michele S. Green, MD

Knee Treatment

Unfortunately you are not a candidate for Coolsculpting however; you might be a candidate for Liposonix. If you can pinch an inch then you can be treated with Liposonix. Liposonix uses High Intensity Focused Ultrasound to treat and eliminate fat. The treated fat is removed through the body’s natural healing and eliminations process, this generally takes 8-12 weeks. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which option is best for you.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Does CoolSculpting work for knees and thighs?

Thank you for your pictures, but they are a bit difficult to see regarding your specific areas of concern.  We have been using CoolSculpting for several years, and there are some areas that is seems to work particularly well for; the abdomen, flanks and back fat. We currently use Exilis Elite, which utilizes radio frequency technology for those who need skin tightening and/or fat reduction in the knees, arms, and thighs.  We have been successful with that technology because unlike CoolSculpting, the device is moved rapidly over the area as it targets the specific areas.  CoolSculpting can be harder to use for thighs and knee area as it is only able to treat the amount of fat that can be pulled in to the paddles, and sometimes that is minimal in those areas.  I hope this helps.  

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Possible CoolSculpting for thighs

It is possible that CoolSculpting could help treat your thighs, but you really would need to be physically examined to determine if you would be a good candidate for the treatment or not.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting To Sculpt Disproportionate Fat

Many patients will carry their excess fat in particular areas that make them appear disproportionate.  CoolSculpting is FDA-cleared for treatment of the abdomen and flanks.  Treating the thighs is considered off-label and many practices feel comfortable treating the right patients with CoolSculpting on the thighs.  I recommend that you go to the CoolSculpting website and find a top provider in your area.  During your consult you will be asked about your medical history and be physically assessed to determine if this is the right treatment for you. 

Premier Crystal Practices may be able to offer special pricing for CoolSculpting treatments.  As the top provider in Raleigh NC and the region, my patients enjoy free CoolSculpting through Instant Rebates.  This is helpful for patients who require multiple sessions.  CoolSculpting Complete is a complimentary package that my patients receive.  CoolSculpting Complete includes dual machines for faster treatment, compression garments for comfort and to reduce swelling, and vibrational therapy to assist the lymphatic removal of fat cells.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon