Knee Surgery Left Internal Hypertrophic Scar, How to Treat?

I had ACL reconstruction done 2.5 months ago---the joint is healing, but one of the scars (endoscope port) is overdeveloping. This is affecting the tracking of my knee cap and causing pain when the scar tissue gets caught in the joint when I walk up stairs. My ortho said he hasn't seen this happen very often before. The skin surface is flat, but there is a lump about the size of a dime under the skin. Should I get referred to a plastic surgeon or derm? Ortho says cortisone could discolour area

Doctor Answers 1

Scar following knee surgery

Photos would be helpful in better assessing your problem. Given the description of the problem and your orthopedic surgeon's comments, your best bet would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon. He/she can assess the situation and make recommendations that may include steroid injections, surgical excision, topical treatment or a combination of treatments. Dermatologists generally can't offer you this full spectrum of options.

Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.