I had a full facelift and still have jowls. Am 72. How can I get rid of them?

Jowls Post Facelift

Without pre and post op photos or any idea of the time frame of your surgery, it is impossible to give you any kind of accurate response. It can take up to 6 months for the all of the swelling to subside following a facelift so you may not be seeing your final results. Your surgeon could have been conservative -- you want to look natural, not like a mask and given your age, you skin is going to be less elastic and more prone to drooping. However, if you are unhappy with your results, speak with your surgeon. No one wants an unhappy client. 

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Follow-up Procedures May Offer the Best Result

There are any number of reasons you may have more excess skin in the jowl area than you had hoped for—perhaps your surgeon was being overly cautious to avoid overcorrection, or perhaps they reduced the scope of your surgery in order to limit recovery time and incision scars. Regardless, keep in mind that most patients who have a facelift do continue to receive other aging-related cosmetic procedures, like Botox® injections and laser treatments. A facelift does not erase all signs of aging (nor does it stop the aging process), and in fact, if it did, the results would look highly unnatural.

To reduce the appearance of jowls and complement your facelift results, here are a few suggestions:

·         Laser skin resurfacing – this procedure (and its minimally invasive forms) leave the skin progressively firmer and more youthful while also minimizing age spots and scars

·         Non-surgical skin tightening – there are a number of these procedures available, and many (such as the Protégé system I use with my Band Aid Skin Tightening) are entirely non-invasive so they require no recovery time

·         Follow-up surgery – plastic surgery is tailored to each patient’s needs, and for some patients, this means improving different areas in different procedures, so you may be interested in a mini face lift which focuses on your jowls. You may want to look into minimally invasive options as well, like my Band Aid Mini Facelift and Band Aid Micro Mini Facelift.

Whatever option you choose, be sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon about all the choices available to you and which ones you’re an ideal candidate for.

John L. LeRoy, MD, FACS

Persistent jowls after surgery

Without before and after photos and a timeframe it is difficult to precisely answer your question. It is normal to have swelling for up to six months after surgery especially if liposuction is done.Liposuction  is often done in the jowls and this may be part of the issue  The other issue is your age. In my experience people over 65 have poor skin elasticity and there is a significant chance of a need for a secondary facelift six months to a year after the first one where additional skin is removed after the skin has stretched back  you should discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon. You may just need reassurance about the swelling or possibly need a secondary facelift or additional liposuction in the future. 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Facelift #faceliftrecovery #fatgrafting #beauty #tmbcosmeticsurgery #woundhealing

Dear Edgewater321

Thank you for your question!  The jowl can be the result of accumulated fat with age and fat volume loss at the front of the jawline.  A combination of fat removal and fat grafting can help improve the shape of the jowl and jawline.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Persistent jowls after a facelift

I would love to see your before and after pictures to better evaluate your concerns, as persistent jowls to one person could mean persistent fat in the cheeks, deep marionette lines or other causes that would need to be addressed in addition to the facelift. 

More liposuction /revising the facelift/consideration to remove the buccal fat pads/artful placement of fillers/noninvasive face neck skin tightening could all be options to further enhance your results. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Jowls are tough...

Unfortunately, recurrent/persistent jowls are the bane of many a facelift surgeon.  While they can almost always be improved with surgery, complete elimination may not be possible for some patients. It would take careful examination to determine the appropriate next step but revision surgery, liposuction and camouflaging with fillers are certainly all on the table.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift disappointment, jowl lift

Sometimes the face swells after surgery causing a stretch in the skin with resulting unsatisfactory results. Of course some cases are more difficult then others, occasionally there can be some residual areas that have not been fixed to the satisfaction of the surgeon or the patient. Further procedures may be helpful, a limited jowl lift maybe offered after a suitable time of healing. Secondary surgeries still have additional costs. See your doc for his best advise. Good luck, enjoy your new more refreshed look….

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and jowls

If you have persistent jowls, you may need a revision. Sometimes fillers can camouflage them as well.

Persistent jowls after facelift?

you should have noticeable improvement in your general area after a facelift. See a very experienced facelift revision surgeon for better results. Make sure that he has had a great deal of experience in correcting your problem. 

It is of course disappointing when a patient undergoes a facelift procedure and is dissatisfied with the outcome.  The gel area is one of the critical regions requiring a facelift surgery and in all but the extreme cases should have achieved a dramatic improvement for you.  Remember that skin with poor elasticity has a tendency to not stay tight and to relax to some degree possibly explaining the reappearance of your jowls.  Depending upon how long ago your surgical procedure was performed you might consider getting a second opinion to see if you would benefit from a revision facelift.  Your surgeon may be willing to perform the procedure for you at a reduced fee if you have confidence in his abilities.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD