Can I have a blephorplasty to correct changes caused by graves eye disease? (photos)

I'm a 35 year old female and I have Graves' disease I have been having symptoms of that such as very puffy eyes, extremely dry and gritty eyes and slight scleral show. I do not have any complications behind the eye or with the muscles as far as they have indicated. I'd like to correct it as this is making me look way older not to mention I'm not feeling great about myself when I look in the mirror. It's been 1.5 years and I now have fine lines appearing on top and below that I never had before.

Graves Eye Disease managementn

Thyroid eye disease involves protrusion of the eyeball plus eyelid changes. Its treatment requires comprehensive management of the orbit and eyelids. Blepharoplasty alone won't be enough. See following link. First stage is usually addressing the eyeball position. Then eyelid surgery including possible eyelid retraction surgery and blepharoplasty.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can I have a blephorplasty to correct changes caused by graves eye disease?

Without examining you it's difficult to give specific advice but in general scleral show due to graves disease would be worsened with a blepharoplasty. I see in your photos that you have some mild bags under your eyes which could potentially benefit from the procedure, but the only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon near you to see what your options are. Best of luck!  

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Thank you for your question. Eyelids are the first things that reflect when we are tired or sleepy. Therefore the condition of both upper and lower eyelid is important. Blepharoplasty, also known as eyelid surgery can be performed to lower eyelid, upper eyelid or both. Blepharoplasty covers removing the excess skin tissue in the upper eyelid, removing the excess fat tissue and skin tissue in the lower eyelid and repositioning the eyelid line in both areas. The incision can be made via scalpel as well as laser. We perform laser blepharoplasty since it is faster and safer and it yields a faster recovery period. The laser is actually used for the incision for removal of the hooding skin of the upper eyelids. The result is dramatic, evident immediately, and bruising is usually minimal with the laser.