I'm schedule for panniculuctomy on Monday and I smoked on friday. Am I in risk of complication?

I'm schedule for panniculuctomy on Monday and I smoked on friday before that it had been couple weeks since I last smoked and prior to that time it had been months. I'm I in risk For any complication? Or will they rescheduled my surgery if they find our I did

Smoking Prior to Undergoing Surgery

Thank you for your question.  Smoking can definitely contribute to surgical complications - wound healing. Simply stated, your body needs oxygen.  Nicotine and its by products affects your body's ability to deliver and transport oxygen to areas of need, especially surgical wounds.  For many elective procedures, I will not proceed if my patient is an active smoker.  It is important that you are honest with your surgeon so that he or she can provide the best possible care. 

Good Day,

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and panniculectomy

Smoking is a concern because nicotine can decrease blood flow. When you have decreased blood flow  tissue does not heal as well and this can lead to complications after surgery. 

I would advise being honest with you doctor about your smoking. You  can call the office and discuss this with them. 

We all want the best for our patients and we want them to heal well without any problems. 

Best of luck with your surgery. 

Helena Guarda, MD
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon