I see some people get burnt after lipo, why is that?

Liposuction - why are some people burned

Thank you for your question about your liposuction.

• Burns only occur when a laser or ultrasound or other heating machine is used.
  • It indicates either that the machine was set too high or the liposuction was done too near the skin.
  • Most plastic surgeons do not use these machines - because of this and other risks.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hi. Unfortunately burns are a complication when ultrasound or laser assisted lipo (ie Smart Lipo) is utilized. The probe may get to close to the skin or the settings may be off. These types of lipo methods should only be carried out by a very experienced surgeon who uses these modalities day in and out. I hope this helps. Good luck Dr. PG

Burns After Liposuction

Hi silver2201,

The true tumescent liposuction technique without laser will not cause burns. Tumescent liposuction is liposuction using local anesthesia and microcannulas for a safe, smooth result.

Burns are caused when a device such as laser or ultrasound is used with liposuction. The device is a tool for the operator and an experienced surgeon is paramount.

Jeffrey A. Klein, MD
San Juan Capistrano Dermatologic Surgeon

People get burned following liposuction because their PS uses an energy based liposuction, such as the Smart Lipo or Ultrasonic lips of some sort. These can be effective if done with skill and experience. However, I have personally found no advantage to these, but they do add another dimension to the risks, namely burns. Plus, they generally take longer to perform, which translates into higher OR and anesthesia costs.  

Traditional liposuction or Tickle Liposuction produces no heat, and, therefore, no risk of burns. However, just as much fat is removed, only faster.

Burns Post Liposuction

Laser and ultrasound liposuction, if performed by someone unexperienced and lacking in skill and expertise, can cause burns. It is extremely important to go to a board certified physician that is well trained. By doing a hi definition procedure you will get much more contouring, shaping and skin tightening. If you receive treatment from an experienced body contouring specialist, there is no need to be concerned about the potential for burns. Best, Dr. Emer

I see some people get burnt after lipo, why is that

Thank you for your question.  laser liposuction or ultrasound assisted liposuction will heat the the connective tissue below the skin. If the tip come to close to the skin, it can result in a burn. This is very unusual and rarely occurs.  Consult with a Board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes

Lipo and burns

Burns can happen with heating component systems like laser lipo devices and ultrasonic systems.  The can generate a lot of heat.

Thank you for your question.  There are a myriad number of ways to perform liposuction and two of the more popular methods use laser or ultrasound energy as part of the procedure.  Deemed to be better at having the skin retract, this energy heats the skin from the inside out but if done inappropriately can cause significant burns.  Hope this helps.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Burns after lipo

There are many reasons as to why this can happen- one of which is the use of laser assisted device. In the right hands - you should expect a very pleasing result after liposuction- provided you are a candidate.