How long should you use scar cream for? It's been a year since my reduction; should I still use it?

Scarring After Breast Lift

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk. #Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. 

The question of using these creams over a year after your surgery would be a personal decision as to your own concerns with the scars or discomfort of the area around the incision. If you feel there is a problem then it would be best to contact your surgeon directly and schedule a follow-up for him to look at the scars and make sure that healing has progressed successfully. Good luck to you.

After one year topical creams will not alter your scars. If you have red raised scars a combination of IPL and 1540 non ablative fracyional erbium laser may be your best option.

How long should you use scar cream for?

I recommend using scar creams for 3-6 months. After this, I don't believe there is any added benefit for your scars. If your scars remain thickened, you may consider steroid injections or Lasers to improve the discoloration.

Jake Lim, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon