How should a large raised mole be removed for minimal scarring and by what type of doctor? (photos)

Is a dermatologist or plastics doctor best to remove a large raised mole on the forehead/hairline

Doctor Answers 2

See a Cosmetic Dermatologist for Mole Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. This may need to be removed with lasers, radiowave or shave. See an expert for minimal scarring and best outcomes. Best, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 203 reviews

How a mole should be removed

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Depending on their size and location, moles can be safely and easily removed by one of two methods: a shave excision or an excision with suture closure. A dermatologic surgeon typically does both procedures expertly and can decide which would be best for your particular mole. A shave excision is a procedure where the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. The other method is an excision with suture closure which uses both dissolving and non-dissolving sutures to give the best cosmetic result. All methods of surgery will leave a scar but the trick is to minimize the scar using the proper technique.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.