Dental Implant uncovering: I noticed blood clot forming on top of the abutment which is hiding it.

My implant surgeon uncovered the implant yesterday (second stage procedure). He placed a flat screw or abutment on the implant which does not protude a lot. I noticed blood clot forming on top of the abutment which is hiding it (looks like red bulb covering). Is this normal ? Or is the gum covering back?

Concern about tissue healing over healing abutment

The healing abutment should at least be as high as the tissue level.  If it is, when the blood clot dissolves, the tissue should heal normally.  If needed, a little tissue shaping with a laser can optimize results of the final restoration.  I'm sure your surgeon would be happy to do a follow-up check and make sure the site is healing properly.

Charlotte Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Blood clot on top of healing abutment

That may be ok. As long as the abutment is slightly taller than the gum tissue level, it should not close up. Please follow up wit your surgeon.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon