Interested in getting a Breast Augmentation and Tummy tuck. Does it make a difference which I would do first?

But I don't want to do them at the same time. Does it make a difference which I would do first? Doing one before the other make the results better or worse? Pros or cons of the scarless BA?

The Mommy Makeover Procedure: Tummy Tuck with Breast Lift

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. 

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time. Now, the intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.
Always talk to a Plastic Surgeon to discuss your issues and concerns. Information that you read online may not apply to your situation. Make sure your surgeon is boarded by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons.

#breastaugmentation and #tummytuck together or staged separately?

Thank you for your question about possibly staging the breast augmentation and tummy tuck procedures.  In our practice many patients opt to have these surgeries together for several reasons (such as only having one downtime/recovery period).  You would do well to discuss your questions in person with a board certified plastic surgeon who operates in an accredited facility such as AAAA-SF, The American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities. In general there is no difference from the surgeon's perspective if you prefer to have the surgeries together or staged out separately.  I hope this is helpful.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Interested in getting a Breast Augmentation and Tummy tuck.

You should address whichever area bothers you more first. It makes no difference in your recovery which surgery you choose to do first. A lot of people like the idea of doing both procedures at once so they have one recovery but it is up to you how you choose to move forward. Best of luck. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and breast augmentation probably best done together rather than staggered.

If you are insisting on staggering the operation the order does not matter. However if you're intent on having both I don't know why you would not do them concurrently. One operation and one interval of convalescence. I'm not sure what you mean by a "scar less" breast augmentation. Almost all breast augmentation incisions are small and are seldom a significant issue.

Order of Surgeries Really Should Not Matter

Dear mltdown,

My first recommendation would be to do them simultaneously as it will save you recovery time and be less costly for you. If you insist on doing them separately, however, it is really not a big difference which one is done first. If, because of your anatomy, your plastic thinks one of the procedures is more likely to require a revision than the other, then that higher-risk procedure should be done first. That way with the planning of the second operation, if any tweaking needs to be done it could be done simultaneously.

I hope this has been helpful to you.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

BA or TT...which one first

Basically, I tell my patients do the procedure first that addressed your most concerning area.  There really isn't a difference between a BA and a TT as far as order goes.

Planning a two-stage mommy make-over

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• It makes no difference which you do first.
  • Personally, I would have the tummy tuck first, if I had the two weeks' recovery time.
  • Is there a reason for dividing the operations? If not, consider combining them.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Order of procedures

There is no clear recommendation on which procedure to have first.  Generally speaking, breast augmentation has a shorter and somewhat easier recovery.  The two procedures can be performed at the same time and are done so quite routinely.  Discuss your thoughts with your plastic surgeon and he/she may be able to better guide you which procedure to have first based on your reasons for wanting them separated.

Camille Cash, MD

Order of surgery

Thanks for your inquiry.  I would not have reservations of doing either the breast augmentation or the tummy tuck first, and would leave it up to my patient's preference.

Do tummy tuck and breast augmentation together

You have not said why you don't want the tummy tuck and breast augmentation to be done at the same time, but it would save money, have only one recovery time, and in most cases is a very safe option. (Which is why it is often called the mommy makeover.) It is also not clear what you mean by scarless breast augmentation; if fat transfer, you could use the abdomen as the donor site. Technically there is always a scar somewhere.

Richard Baxter, MD