I'm curious, will a Tummy Tuck with Liposuction to the flanks give me an hourglass shape? (photo)

Wanting to get an idea of what to expect post surgery. I'm 5'9-5'10 & weigh 173, goal weight is 165. Just wanting to know roughly where the flanks are and if aggressive or any kind of lipo to the flanks will really bring in my waist. Also getting muscle repair. How much does that bring the waist in? I weight lift 5-6x a week and have had 3 kids. Lost over 50 lbs to get back to this point. I'm just nervous because all I know is this pooch and I really want to have the best possible outcome.

Tummy tuck to get an hourglass figure

The ability to have an hour glass figure depends on the distance from lowest rib to pubic bone and on the amount of fat inside of your abdominal cavity. Liposuction of the flanks, also called love handles will give you a more rounded appearance to your buttocks but will not contribute much to an hour glass shape. If you have a relatively small amount of intra-abdominal fat and have a longer torso, then the tummy tuck might be able to narrow your waist some. From your flexed photo I think at the weight you are at present that the degree of narrowing of the waist would not narrow you too much.

Need better pictures for a good evaluation !

Thank you for your question and pics, I think that you are a
candidate for several procedures as: 
1.- Tummy tuck can be extended on not 
2.- Liposuction of back, waist.
3.- Brazilian Butt lift 

For a full evaluation need more information and new pics.
best of luck! 

Tummy tuck results

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

Well done on the weight loss! It takes a lot of hard work.

A tummy tuck will give you a flatter stomach and removing the excess skin should give you a smooth transition to the pubis, after surgical swelling subside.s
Liposuction of the flanks (the area at the side of the lower tummy, above the hips) will give you a smaller waist.
I think you'll have a nice result and be very pleased.

(The 'hourglass' look takes a very skinny person with a very long waist and very little muscle.)

Hope you find this answer helpful. Have a great day!

Abdominoplasty will restore contour

Thanks for your question and the pictures. My impression is that you have a lot of loose skin. My concern is that a standard abdominoplasty may not be able to address the lateral and posterior hip area. Most of the time I perform liposuction at the same time so that I can reduce the fullness in the hip area. If there is loose skin there, then I will extend the incision posteriorly and do an extended abdominoplasty. Bottom line is that I think you will do great and it will re-establish your waistline. I would discuss my comments with your surgeon. A lot of this assessment has to be done by exam. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

I'm curious, will a Tummy Tuck with Liposuction to the flanks give me an hourglass shape?

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Liposuction to flanks/waist and Tummy Tuck with muscle repair are the best options for you. It will remove the excess of skin and make your abdomen flat.

The flanks are the sides of you abdomen. 

Yily De Los Santos, MD