Is Coolsculpting good for a double chin or is Kybella better? I heard Kybella is painful.

Kybella

Thank you for your question. Kybella is the most effective treatment to safely eliminate excess fat below the chin. While side effects are rare, there is a small chance for excessive bleeding, bruising, temporary numbness and a difficulty to swallow. Please keep in mind that every procedure - surgical and non-surgical - has a chance for complications. Your safest route is to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon who is trained in the proper and safe use of Kybella.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpt vs Kybella

The right choice for you is really going to depend on the amount of fat that you have in the area. Kybella is designed for that very specific pocket of fat right under the chin. And it really does work miracles. However, if you're fat is more wide spread or you really do have an aversion to needles, then CoolSculpt may be a better choice. Keep in mind, however, that Kybella results are permanent. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Kybella versus Coolsculpting

I perform both in my office and there is a place for both depending on the amount of fat that you have under the chin and one's fear of needles.  Generally speaking, a large area of fat is best treated with the Cool-mini and a small area of fat with Kybella injections.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who does both to get the best treatment.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella vs. coolsculpting

This is a great and common question. I would recommend you see a board certified dermatologist or board certified facial plastic surgeon who can take a look at you and determine which is the better procedure. both are excellent modalities for reduction of a double chin but based on the amount and location there can be subtle differences. I hope this helps!

Lesley Rabach, MD

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Unfortunately without a full series of photographs it is difficult to offer you definite advice. Both can achieve noticeable improvement in the double chin region with Coolsculpting taking several treatments that may last for a half hour to hour, and relies on the tissue being able to be captured by the instrument "head."  Kybella allows for greater adjustment and is a series of injectable treatments whose pain lasts for approximately 5 minutes and soreness for a few days thereafter, similar to Coolsculpting.  Hope this helps.

Cool Sculpting vs Kybella vs necklift

There is no single answer to what works best for every double chin; it requires an in-person evaluation. If there is a lot of excess fat in a young person with firm skin, liposuction would be best; a smaller fat pad with reasonable skin tone could be treated with either Kybella or Cool Mini. More skin laxity is best treated with a necklift regardless of how much fat there is. Be sure you consult with someone who is in a position to offer whichever is the best for you.

Richard Baxter, MD

A Combination is Needed: Kybella, Coolsculpting, Thermage, Ultherapy, VASER, ThermiRf

I recommend getting a formal evaluation to determine what treatment would be right for you. Both can work, but for great results a combination approach is needed. Kybella is a great choice and works best in combination with other skin tightening treatments. Using it with thermage/ultherapy can help to tighten the skin under the chin. VASER/ThermiRF are also great options, if you're a candidate. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Hello Luchaboo,

You will probably get a variety of answers to which is better for a double chin.  Each of the options you listed has pros and cons, so I will try to help explain the differences. 

Kybella is an injectable product that is naturally found in the body and destroys fat.  It involves a series of injections ranging from 2-4 treatments but up to 6.  The actual treatment and number of vials depends on your anatomy.  The heavier the neck the more treatments needed.  As far as discomfort my patients really haven't complained of any.  This is probably related to techniques used since I do perform all of the injections on my patients.  The treatment takes about 5 minutes in the office with no down time.  There is some swelling that takes place afterwards and treatments are spaced out every 6 weeks.

CoolSculpting involves a vacuum device and cold temperatures.  The hand piece is more of a one size fits all so your anatomy really depends on whether this could be an option for you.  For heavier necks it can help.  If you have less fat, then it cannot pull the fat in and effectively treat.  Depending on whether your provider has the newest device or the older model, your treatment will range from about 30 minutes (newer model) to an hour.  Because it does involve suction this would tend to be a little more uncomfortable in my opinion, but there are no needles. 

With both of these treatments the results are not immediate.  As mentioned above, Kybella takes from 2-4 treatments spaced about 6 weeks apart.  CoolSculpting usually involves two to three treatments but some do get the result they wanted with one.  Neither of these will address significant lax skin and neither will give you a surgical result, which are important to realize before proceeding.  

I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon to go over all of the options for the double chin and find out which one works best for you.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon