What type of revision surgery will be needed to correct this? (photos)

Hello everyone, in 2010 I went from 240 pounds to 190, a year and a half ago a board certified doctor conducted gynecomastia surgery on me. I am not satisfied with the results as it is still obvious that I have male breast. He excised gland through a half circle around the areola and he also lipo-ed 250cc from each breast. The left breast is a bit bigger and there is considerable indentation. What should my next move be? I went back to him and he suggested a lollipop short scar procedure.

Asymmetry Correction

Breast asymmetry is the condition when both breasts are not equal in size. In men, gynecomastia can include Breast asymmetry is the condition when both breasts are not equal in size. In men, gynecomastia can include only one or both breasts.  Unilateral gynecomastia occurs when only one breast is larger due to gynecomastia, while the other breast is typically normal in both size and shape.  Bilateral Asymmetry occurs when gynecomastia is present in both breasts, although each to a different degree.  The amount of glandular tissue can affect the size, shape, and location on the chest wall of the enlarged area, the size of the areolas, and protrusion and diameter of the nipples.

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Often in this case, individuals who suffer from extreme unilateral gynecomastia have experienced severe psychological effects and developed intense social anxiety. The large, and unequal breast may also interfere with developing intimate, personal relationships. Men who develop even mild cases of gynecomastia can suffer from low self-esteem, as well as depression.

Like women, most men have breasts of slightly differing size and shape. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.

In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the areola often shrinks when gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola symmetry may improve.

It may just be your best option to have the excision re-performed with attention to the overall asymmetry. Be sure to address these questions in consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon before scheduling a procedure.

Laxity

Thank you for the question and photos and sorry for your disappointment with your results.  That said an examination is needed to make a firm recommendation so see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Extra skin

Sometimes the skin will tighten after gynecomastia surgery.  And we count on that for optimal results. After 6 months if the tissues don't tighten, then, skin excision can be performed.  I'm not a big fan of the lollipop incision since it will widen the areola. I would have to see you in person to determine the best course of action.  More common questions are answered in the attached video.

Tim Neavin, MD