4 weeks post op FTT. Swelling really bad along the incision line. Should I keep wearing compression garments? (photo)

So I am now 4 weeks PO FTT. I have been wearing compression garments the entire time.. However I am tall 5'10. Seems all the different ones I have wore have not helped reduce the swelling. I have wore spanx, binders, and other compression garments. My swelling is huge along the incision and pubic line. Also legs and feet have been swelling. Wondering if compression is something I should still be using? Or should I give it up? What will help?

4 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (4 weeks post-po) the swelling is normal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Early Postop Concerns

Thank you for your question and for sharing your concerns.  Congratulations...you are going to have an excellent result.  Postop swelling after at tummy tuck is normal and can be significant.  Compression garments help to manage the swelling and keep you comfortable but will not completely prevent it.  Seromas can also masquerade as swelling. You should be evaluated by your surgeon or nurse to rule out a seroma and to discuss their preference for compression garments. Best wishes on your recovery.

4 weeks post op FTT. Swelling really bad along the incision line.

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after tummy tuck

Sorry to hear about your problems.  It's impossible to diagnose your problems online so your best bet is to return to your PS as soon as you can.  Sometimes, an ultrasound is needed to diagnose a fluid  collection such as a seroma, hematoma, or maybe even infection.  If it's just swollen, then maybe a different compression garment would help.  Be sure you are not doing too much in terms of activity.  Also, added salt will cause increase swelling as well.  

4 weeks post op FTT. Swelling really bad along the incision line. Should I keep wearing compression garments?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs and I am sorry to hear of your swelling symptoms. It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place. Most commonly this is residual swelling from surgery which will spontaneously resolve, and can be aided with the use of continued compression garment use for at least 6 weeks after surgery, but it would be important to voice your concerns to your surgeon to ensure that other issues are not taking place - discrete fluid collection, muscle laxity, or residual adipose tissue. Hope this helps.

Tummy Tuck / Mini Tummy Tuck /Abdominoplasty/ Liposuction/ Reverse Abdominoplasty/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Please follow up with your plastic surgeon so he/she cane examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.  My patients wear their compression garments anywhere from 3-6 months.  Please discuss with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Post operative edema and seroma

You may have a seroma formation or old hematoma along the lower abdominal wall. Consider an ultrasound to determine the amount and type of fluid collection. Also, seek the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon as soon as possible. My patients wear compression garments for up to three months. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Swelling after Tummy Tuck

Swelling can last months after a tummy tuck.  The compression garments do help.  Make sure you are keeping your followup appointments so that you can be reassured that everything is healing properly.  Often your surgeon can offer or recommend a different garment available at their office to help fit your height and body proportions.

Best of luck.